Tank size

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by reds, Jul 16, 2015.

1. r

reds Valued Member Member

Just wondering how many gallons my fish tank is. Yesterday I found out that one of my aquariums that I bought was labeled as a 25 gallon, and turns out it's only a 20 gallon high tank. The other tank that I bought was labeled as 30 gallon high tank. Here's the measurements of the tank: it's a hexagonal tank with 6 sides. Each side is 9 inches long and 18 inches in height. I just want to make sure I wasn't lied to again by the lfs store that I purchased these aquariums from.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. G

Guppyfry Valued Member Member

According to this fish tank calculator:   it is only 16 gallons,

But this calculator says 19 gallons:  

At any rate, it isn't even close to 30 gallons!

You aren't the only one being misled by pet store staff - on a fish group I'm part of, someone was selling a 28 gallon as a 40 gallon. She kept insisting that it was a 40 gallon because that is what the staff at the store where she bought the tank said, even though everyone was trying to tell her that according to the tank dimmensions, it was only a 28 gallon.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

To the OP, you need to stop going to whatever LFS is selling you these tanks... You are getting majorly ripped off. Paying more for smaller tanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    r

I am never going back to that lfs anymore. That's 2 tanks they ripped me off for. Am I over stocked in this tank. I have 5 cherry barbs and 4 Rummynose and 1 mollie.

I called the lfs and confronted the owners and they are playing dumb, told me that they don't know what I'm talking about. I'm really upset. I'm currently looking for another lfs store. I live in Toronto, does anyone know of a good reliable lfs in my city?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  5. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Yes overstocked, considering that you don't have enough barbs or tetras to complete their schools, and that molly alone will grow too big for the tank.

6. Dom90

I dont know if you want to print out that page and show them the dimensions and the volume based on this.

7. OP
    OP
    r

Can I put the molly in my 20 gallon high tank. I have 5 neons and 5 zebra danios and 3 glo danios. This whole situation I'm in sucks I was mislead with the 2 aquariums I bought and as a result I'm now over stocked in both tanks.

8. Dom90

That would really push the bioload over the max, mollies are a big bioload..

9. OP
    OP
    r

I may have found a home for the danios, if my friend takes the danios would the molly be OK in the 20 gallon high tank?

10. ClearEyes

I read no to mollies in a 20L in an earlier thread, so I assume a 20H would be even worse. Sorry :(

11. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

When did you buy the tank? Could you return it?

12. ClearEyes

Would the LFS be willing to take any fish back? It's their fault you're in this predicament :mad:

13. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Just to verify on the calculations...yes, that hexagonal tank is 16.4 US gallons. Very frustrating that the store did that to you.

14. OP
    OP
    r

I have found a home for the danios, my friends neace has a true 50 gallon tank she bought off one of those Internet sites like ebay. The lfs won't take the fish back because they are worried about deseses even though they are perfectly healthy and I don't want to have anything to do with them anymore they've ripped me off twice now.

15. Gvilleguy

Wow - that store sucks.

16. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

you should write up a bad review on yelp or something.

17. Dom90

Sometimes, I dont like to rely on yelp. It's all subjective... and even though someone got bad service, you may get good service, or the other way around..

18. Gvilleguy

For a second I was thinking "maybe they sold it as liters", but 16 gallons is like 60 liters, so that's not it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice