Tank Size To Large??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Dayne Clarke, Apr 13, 2017.

?

Tank size to big??

Poll closed Apr 20, 2017.
  1. To big

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Shouldn't matter

100.0%
  1. D

Dayne Clarke New Member Member

So I caught an awesome sale the other day and couldn't resist purchasing. 1 dollar a gallon and 25% off of any aqueon HOB filter so I bought a 29g tank and a 30g filter didn't go oversized due to only putting one fish in and that's minimal when it comes to ammonia and bad bacteria.
    So after a week of cycling and filtering we put my son's beta fish in there. Day 3 he seems to be eating very little. From what I can tell his stomach isn't caved in at all and he seems brighter and more active. The question I'm having is, is there such a thing of having to large of a tank for one fish?
    Reason I really bought the tank is to soon put Rosie's in for when I finish my 90g tank which will hold maybe a few piranhas. Thanks everyone who helps out.

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The bigger the better

3. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

Ive heard of Bettas needing short tanks because they come up to take breaths from time to time.

4. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

They can swim up fine. You're probably thinking of African dwarf frogs.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Never heard of that I'll have to look into it

6. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

Maybe.

7. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

What fin-type is your betta? A fully-finned betta will have a very difficult time getting to the top of the tank for each breath he takes, it will wear him out quickly. Also, a much larger tank can make a fish shy for a few days, but this should wear off quickly.

Do you know what an actual "cycle" is? I am not trying to be condescending at all, but I'm just wondering since you said "after a week of cycling", when it normally takes much longer. Though ammonia/waste build-up is probably not the reason for the betta not eating since it is a small fish in a large tank, it is still important to know.

8. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Also, just want to note that when it comes to filters you actually want to judge the size by the gph not what the box say its for. For HOBs you want 8-10x the gph for the size tank so for a 29 gallon you want at least a total gph of 232. For canisters you want at least 5x the gph.

9. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

He'll be one happy Betta!! You'll be totally fine. :)

10. OP
    OP
    D

I know a lot of times a cycle should take 3 to 4 weeks with your bacteria and filtration but my thing is the fish came from a 1 gallon tank and had no filter didn't see where there should be a problem at all. I don't believe the fish is a full fin but I am taking a stab in the dark in that aspect.

11. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Long finned bettas sometimes have trouble swimming up to the surface to breathe because their fins are so heavy.

12. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

If you put something like a betta leaf near the surface of the water, your betta will have an easier time getting up to the surface for air as it will be able to rest on it & be closer to the surface.

13. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Betta splendens don't need to breathe atmospheric oxygen. Doesn't matter how tall your tank is.

14. EternalDancer

EternalDancer Well Known Member Member

So this is new...

I was under the impression that although a chilled out betta may not worry with atmospheric oxygen, a more feisty fish would require the additional O2.

What makes you say they don't need the AO?

I'm definitely still learning about these guys.

15. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

They're facultative air breathers. In the wild they live in sedentary bodies of water with little to no surface agiatation meaning very little has exchange.

Facultative means optional more or less, so in the wild you'll see splendens use their labyrinth organ far more than in the household aquarium.

There are a number of commonly kept species that are considered obligate air breathers however; most of which are gouramis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice