Tank Size Regret

1. THUNDER FISHERMAN

THUNDER FISHERMAN New Member Member

Okay so I'm getting my first real tank and was originally thinking of buying a 29 gallon. However, with the dollar per gallon sale it's not much more to buy a larger tank. I'm aware that the equipment involved to set up a larger tank (ex. 55 gallon) is more expensive than for a smaller tank. Anyways, have you bought a tank and then immediately wished you had gone for something bigger? Also is jumping straight into a larger tank for my first one foolish? I've cycled a 10 gallon and had no problems, but is it much more difficult to deal with a larger tank? It just seems that my stocking options greatly increase if I jump up to a 55 gallon. What are your thoughts on this?
    Thanks in advance for your feedback!:;scuba

2. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

If you have the room and can afford it, I'd go with the bigger tank. In the little amount of experience I have with tanks, bigger ones are easier to take care of. Water changes can be difficult if you don't have a gravel vac but other than that I love my 55. =) I've had multiple problems when starting my 10 gallon and 29 gallon (purchased at the last $/gal sale) but no problems with the 55. It cycled much quicker than I expected as well though I did use some tank water and gravel from the (then stabilized) 10 gallon tank.

3. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

I'd recommend a water changer for larger tanks, but a larger tank is generally easier to take care off.

The water has more volume and that contributes to more stable parameters. It's easier to home larger fish/larger numbers of fish too.

The downside is, of course, equipment costing more, which really pushes new aquarists to smaller setups.

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think everyone can relate to regretting not going bigger their first time around. I certainly did when I got my first tank which was a 10g which I immediately upgraded to a 46g and I STILL kick myself for not going even bigger! lol

No, it's not foolish at all to go as big as you can when starting the hobby as long as you have the room and the funds. :)

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Well el337 I think we started around the same time....and I just upgraded my 36 to a 75...so it's probably about time for an upgrade isn't it? :)

I think almost every fish keeper wishes they had a bigger tank. I started with a 36 gallon bow front and just recently upgraded to a 75 (still in the process actually)...and I'm already wishing I could have done something like a 6 foot 150 gallon. One of these days I might.

Larger tanks are much more forgiving but the problem I could see with starting with a larger tank is jumping into larger fish immediately. Larger fish usually means more expensive fish. And larger fish usually means more complex personalities. I could take my 36 gallon and literally throw a ton of common smaller fish in there and likely never have any problems (guppies, platies, most tetras, cherry barbs, rasboras, cory's, kuhli's etc). But when I have a big tank, if I started throwing larger fish in all willy nilly then I could end up with a bunch of beaten, battered, and dead fish.

BUT since you are a member of this forum, there are tons of people on here that will be able to give you suggestions on your stocking to hopefully avoid a lot of that

6. el337

I know! And you know what, I had been hinting at a bigger tank to hubby for a couple of months now but we're contemplating a move within the next couple of years so he promised me a much bigger tank once that happens! :)

7. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

I made that mistake. Went from a 55 to a 90, then 6 months later went to a 150 which i wanted all along. Added a 240 salt water tank later. Go big if you can.

8. tyguy7760

Man..you have more patience than I do. See I'd argue for a small upgrade now...and then a BIG upgrade when you move :)

9. el337

Haha I don't know about having more patience. It might just be laziness cuz I wouldn't want to set it up and only have to tear it down if we moved sooner than later.

10. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have a "finished" basement, and I'm putting that in quotations because while it's technically finished, I would never spend any time down there. When I first started keeping fish 3 years ago and MTS kicked in, I started thinking about having the basement refinished and turning it into a giant fish room/rec room/great room, etc. And I could get huge tanks and not have to worry about the weight.

Hmmm, the wheels in my mind are turning...

11. tyguy7760

12. OP
    OP
    THUNDER FISHERMAN

THUNDER FISHERMAN New Member Member

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll go for the 55. Might as well get exactly what I want! Is the python gravel vac the easiest for cleaning/water changes in the bigger tanks?

13. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

MTS hits us all. lol Contemplating getting another 10g and a pea puffer to take care of my pond/ Ramshorn snails. I don't like just tossing them and nothing else that I already have will eat them. Problem is I'm out of space. XD Have 2 tanks in my room (each one taking over an outlet) and the 55 in the living room taking over an outlet.

Definitely go with a bigger tank if there's room and funds. As mentioned above, start with smaller fish rather than jump into bigger ones.

14. tyguy7760

the python or aqueon water changer (basically both are the exact same) is definitely worth it for medium and large tanks. I personally own the aqueon and it's great.

15. ashleyb

ashleyb Valued Member Member

Where exactly is this dollar per gallon sale?!

I started with a 6 gallon Betta tank. Then I got another 10 gallon Betta tank. From there I went with a 39 gallon, which I currently still run but instantly regretted not going bigger. I then moved up to a 55 gallon which is running but has no fish (long story) and I'm looking into getting a 90 gallon that's on sale at my LFS that comes with the tank, huge wooden stand with shelving, special lights and a sump for $480. I don't think I can pass that up. I'll probably retire my 39 gallon permanently and use my 55 gallon to breed mystery snails, something I've been looking into recently. But due to size restrictions I'll have to stop buying tanks at this point lol. I have an apartment and it's overran by tanks!

16. tyguy7760

Petco usually does it and then petsmart usually follows suit soon after

17. ashleyb

ashleyb Valued Member Member

Is the sale going on now? My petco hasn't advertised any.

18. tyguy7760

I saw someone in another thread say the dollar per gallon sale was going to be starting soon. Not sure how accurate that is

19. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I saw someone post on TPT that it's running from 6/27 - 7/16 and will include 75g tanks. If that's true, I don't know what would stop me from buying a 75g for just $75.

20. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Man I missed it by like a month! Lol we just set up a 38 gal and a 20 gal. I definitely want a huge tank when we move down the road ... I've always wanted a huge tank. I wanted one in the wall with like a maintenance room behind it. Perfect time to add that would be during home reno additions! (Adding to list!)