Tank Size For Two Dwarf Gouramis

Django

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a twenty gallon tank with two Dwarf gouramis, two mollies, and two cory catfish. One of the mollies I bought was pregnant and gave birth. I now have 12 baby mollies in a breeding net in one of the upper corners. Soon it will be time to release them into the main tank but to avoid overstocking I'm considering buying a two or three gallon desktop aquarium and move the two Dwarf gouramis into it. Will they be happy there? I read online that they should be in at least a twenty gallon tank. Since they only grow to 1.5 - 2 inches I'm not sure if just two will be happy in a two or three gallon desktop aquarium. Please advise. Thank you.

larry.calderon

Reaction score
Django said:
I have a twenty gallon tank with two Dwarf gouramis, two mollies, and two cory catfish. One of the mollies I bought was pregnant and gave birth. I now have 12 baby mollies in a breeding net in one of the upper corners. Soon it will be time to release them into the main tank but to avoid overstocking I'm considering buying a two or three gallon desktop aquarium and move the two Dwarf gouramis into it. Will they be happy there? I read online that they should be in at least a twenty gallon tank. Since they only grow to 1.5 - 2 inches I'm not sure if just two will be happy in a two or three gallon desktop aquarium. Please advise. Thank you.
I was on a similar situation with platy fry and ended up giving the platys to the local fish store. Platys and mollies have a high biological load, and gouramis need at least 20 galons, even the dwarf ones in my opinion. Cheers!

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Having 2 male dwarf gourami in that size tank will likely make them fight until one gets severely injured. If you have a spare 10g you could move ONE of the gourami there, and leave the other in the 20g. You could also move some of the fry to the smaller tank. But why not just keep them all in the 20g? Yes its kverstocked but jts better than moving fish to a smaller tank.

Django

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fjh said:
Having 2 male dwarf gourami in that size tank will likely make them fight until one gets severely injured. If you have a spare 10g you could move ONE of the gourami there, and leave the other in the 20g. You could also move some of the fry to the smaller tank. But why not just keep them all in the 20g? Yes its kverstocked but jts better than moving fish to a smaller tank.
One is a male and the other is female. I got them together so I don't want to separate them. They get along fine. I also have a ten gallon with five tetras and one bette fish. I could separate the fry between the 10g and 20g but then again I think each tank might be slightly overstocked. I want my fish to be happy and healthy.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I definitely wouldn’t put two DGs in a 3 gallon tank. Their minimum tank size is technically 20 gallons just for one or two. I’d say just divide the fry up between the two tanks and leave the gouramis where they are.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom