Tank Size For These Snails?

Belladonna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so I wanted to ask before I bought some snails, I am thinking of buying a black devil spike snail and 1 maybe or 2 mystery snails will that be too many snails for a 20g tank? right now I have 2 dwarf gourami and 5 nerite snails and 5 otto cats since they grow larger I didn't want them to be too cramped in a tank, my tank is heavily planted too, and I was also told if they were fed enough they wouldn't eat plants. anyone with Experience with larger snails need suggestions.

thanks

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, but make sure to feed the mystery snails protein, they eat a lot of it. The black spikes should do well in a 20, just make sure your nitrAtes don't go over 20 and that you have no ammonia or nitrites.

Belladonna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasDomer said:
Are both of your dwarf gouramis male?

It doesn't sound like too many snails to me! Be sure you feed them veggies and protein pellets
I believe they are both females but noticed one of them building a bubble nest, I feed them algae tablets and blanched vegetables with some
Crab Cuisine

ThePuzzleMaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can add the snails no problem. But take into consideration that mistery snails are great waste producers and need to be fed a lot of food.

Belladonna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ThePuzzleMaker said:
You can add the snails no problem. But take into consideration that mistery snails are great waste producers and need to be fed a lot of food.
so would the devil snails be a better choice ?

ThePuzzleMaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It depends on what look you like and what snail you like. Both grow to a big size so both produce about equal ammount of waste. There is not a significant difference in my opinion

Belladonna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ThePuzzleMaker said:
It depends on what look you like and what snail you like. Both grow to a big size so both produce about equal ammount of waste. There is not a significant difference in my opinion
thanks. good point..going to think about that before I buy anything

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Belladonna said:
I believe they are both females but noticed one of them building a bubble nest, I feed them algae tablets and blanched vegetables with some
Crab Cuisine
What color are they? Can you take pics? Females are very uncommon and are a dull, silverish color.

Belladonna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasDomer said:
What color are they? Can you take pics? Females are very uncommon and are a dull, silverish color.
yeah lemme see what I can do, they are dwarf honeys they refused to stay still so did my best with the pictures, hmm nows that I look they don't really fit that description :/ they've been together since day 1 no issues.. hopefully pictures are good enough to see

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Honey gouramis, not dwarf gouramis. Males are more peaceful to each other and can usually be kept together.

Belladonna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasDomer said:
Honey gouramis, not dwarf gouramis. Males are more peaceful to each other and can usually be kept together.
that's interesting, when I bought them 1 year ago our lfs listed them as dwarf honey gouramis, either way they are still super funny to watch. I decided to go with a few mystery snails for my tank and maybe breed a pair since I'm going to either buy 3 or 4 of them.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Common names are terrible for that reason - people can label fish with whatever common name they like. They're Trichogaster chuna though, commonly known as honey gouramis. There's no dwarf honey gourami - they're all the same size.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom