Tank Size For These Snails? 20 Gallon Tank

1. Belladonna

Belladonna Member Member

so I wanted to ask before I bought some snails, I am thinking of buying a black devil spike snail and 1 maybe or 2 mystery snails will that be too many snails for a 20g tank? right now I have 2 dwarf gourami and 5 nerite snails and 5 otto cats since they grow larger I didn't want them to be too cramped in a tank, my tank is heavily planted too, and I was also told if they were fed enough they wouldn't eat plants. anyone with Experience with larger snails need suggestions.

thanks

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Sounds fine to me for the mysteries, don't know about the other one.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Yes, but make sure to feed the mystery snails protein, they eat a lot of it. The black spikes should do well in a 20, just make sure your nitrAtes don't go over 20 and that you have no ammonia or nitrites.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Are both of your dwarf gouramis male?

It doesn't sound like too many snails to me! Be sure you feed them veggies and protein pellets :)

5. OP
    OP
    Belladonna

Belladonna Member Member

I believe they are both females but noticed one of them building a bubble nest, I feed them algae tablets and blanched vegetables with some
    Crab Cuisine

6. T

ThePuzzleMaker Member Member

You can add the snails no problem. But take into consideration that mistery snails are great waste producers and need to be fed a lot of food.

7. OP
    OP
    Belladonna

Belladonna Member Member

so would the devil snails be a better choice ?

8. T

ThePuzzleMaker Member Member

It depends on what look you like and what snail you like. Both grow to a big size so both produce about equal ammount of waste. There is not a significant difference in my opinion

9. OP
    OP
    Belladonna

Belladonna Member Member

thanks. good point..going to think about that before I buy anything

10. TexasDomer

What color are they? Can you take pics? Females are very uncommon and are a dull, silverish color.

11. OP
    OP
    Belladonna

Belladonna Member Member

yeah lemme see what I can do, they are dwarf honeys they refused to stay still so did my best with the pictures, hmm nows that I look they don't really fit that description :/ they've been together since day 1 no issues.. hopefully pictures are good enough to see :)

Attached Files:

12. TexasDomer

Honey gouramis, not dwarf gouramis. Males are more peaceful to each other and can usually be kept together.

13. OP
    OP
    Belladonna

Belladonna Member Member

that's interesting, when I bought them 1 year ago our lfs listed them as dwarf honey gouramis, either way they are still super funny to watch. I decided to go with a few mystery snails for my tank and maybe breed a pair since I'm going to either buy 3 or 4 of them.

14. TexasDomer

Common names are terrible for that reason - people can label fish with whatever common name they like. They're Trichogaster chuna though, commonly known as honey gouramis. There's no dwarf honey gourami - they're all the same size.