tank size for Texas Cichlid

Discussion in 'Texas Cichlid' started by ScottsTanks, Jun 17, 2011.

1. ScottsTanks

ScottsTanksWell Known MemberMember

What is the minimum tank size for a texas cichlid? I am finding conflicting information on the web and Fishlore doesn't have a bio for them. I would like to start a 125g tank with 2 Texas and 1 Tiger Oscar. Is this too small? Should I do a 180g?

2. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

I have a Texas. They are SLOW growers. A 50 gal is good for a Texas when full sized. They get a bad rep for being mean, but mine is a wimp... Lol. Now tiger Oscars are another story, mine is at least 13" in 20 months. A Texas will max out at 12" if that. I think a 125 would work, but obviously a 180 could prevent issues and be better.

Not great pics, but I like to share.

Attached Files:

3. Jeffcameron

JeffcameronValued MemberMember

Hey there, not to disagree with ppate, just share my differing experience...my Texas is a fast grower in comparison to all other fish I've owned. It's gone from a very small 3 inches max when I got him to about 6-7 inches now and way taller/thicker in about 10-12 months. Maybe that is slow growth though and the rest of my fish are just super slow :;dk

As for the tank size...I say bigger is better :) If you can fit a 180G then go for it.

4. ppate1977

I don't see that as disagreeing Jeff; I enjoy hearing different experiences! I HAVE a lot of cichlids so I should have put in a disclaimer that my Texas grows slower than my others. Of course I've always found it odd that the same species of some fish can grow at such different rates.

5. Jeffcameron

JeffcameronValued MemberMember

Yeah for sure. I think mine grew quick in comparison to my others because he was quite the aggresive eater and would go nuts at feeding time.

6. ppate1977

I expected mine to grow faster and be a bit tougher, he is beautiful but such a wimp. I hope he gets more of a backbone when he gets larger and I with him to my 180.

7. OP
    OP
    ScottsTanks

MY EBJD is a really slow grower also. He when from 1.5" to 6" in a year. IME that's pretty slow for cichlids but I've really only had Oscars in the past and they grow like weeds. Perhaps if I did do a Texas/Oscar tank I should grow out the Texas cichlid first in a different tank

8. ppate1977

Well I can tell you VP, I originally had my 3" (at the time) Texas in with my 13+" Oscar. The Oscar left him alone. I believe it was because the Texas was a little too big to want to eat, yet posed no territorial threat to my Oscar. My Jaguar and JD took care of all the bickering with Oscar. The Texas just kinda swam wherever he wanted, being ignored by these 3 large, aggressive cichlids! Lol. Perhaps try to get a 4-5" Texas from the get go. I know a place here you can get quality stock of larger fish (it is upscale and pricey) if you end up making it to Columbus.

9. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Goodmorning,

I think a 125g is more than enough for those two fish. From my experience with Texas cichlids they can be rapid growers (1-12in in a year) and can also be exceptionally slow growing (4-8in in 13months). From my observation the growth rate of the small texas depends mostly on the parents and the genetics of the babies.

I had a spawning pair of texas with a spawning pair of oscars and a spawning pair of Midas cichlids in a 180g long. I also had a pair of Green Terrors in there but they were much smaller than the rest of the cichlids so I moved them out. I didn't have territory troubles because I had a lot of grapevine wood with moss growing on it so a fish couldn't see very far across the tank.

Keep in mind that Texas Cichlids(Herichthys cyanoguttatus), or Rio Grande Pearch, are actually North American cichlids. So this would mean in the wild they would never meet an Oscar or any other such cichlid. This means that it may or may not tolerate or be tolerated in the aquarium. I always liked to keep my Texas cichlids in a species tank because of this. Just a quick warning ;D

Oh and usually Oscars will grow faster than Texas. It's best to get the fish when they are very small. If you got 1-3in fish then you could grow out a bit in a 75-90g and then move them to the larger tank. Getting them small is the best way to avoid any territorial issues.

10. OP
    OP
    ScottsTanks

Thanks for all the advice guys. I hope it works out. My dad has been trying to find Texas cichlids for sale in CA for years and has had no luck so if I get one first he's gonna flip.

Rogue, I am aware that they are the only North American cichlid but they have been introduced into South American waterways by man so I'm sure that a wild Texas cichlid has seen an Oscar and I don't mind mixing them up a little in my tank. It will just have to be a liberal biotope tank lol

11. ppate1977

Like I said VP, my Oscar was cool with my Texas and the Texas was like 1/4 the size. I think it will be fine.

12. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it. I was just pointing out that there could be some problems.

I realize that they've been introduced to SA waterways by man but I go by the natural wild distribution of fish normally. Call me old school but I don't think that fish should me moved by man from one natural habitat to another :;dk.

I'd love to see some pictures of the tank when your done! Are you planning only two fish?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  13. OP
    OP
    ScottsTanks

I totally argree with you Rogue, wildlife should stay in their natural enivornment and and not be implanted into new habitats. And I know you were not saying don't do it. Thank you very much for your advice and sharing your fishkeeping experiences.

14. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Either tank size would work out ok. If you feed them well they will actually grow pretty fast most of the time. Another thing to keep in mind is they will spawn small, around 3" perhaps a bit smaller, so if you get two of the them there is that chance.

Rogue pointed out Herichthys Cyanoguttatus, and while this is the real Texas cichlid sadly this fish has been forgotten in the hobby. 99.9% of the fish found being called a Texas cichlid are actually Herichthys Carpintis. Also a cool fish but not really the Texas cichlid. It would be very tough to walk into most any LFS and find a H. Cyanoguttatus.

Brian