Tank Size for Rainbow Shark Question

1. Jake the Fish Member Member

What's the minimum size tank for a rainbow shark? At my LFS there is one that is fairly big, so I am wondering how big they can get. :;snow

2. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

I don't think I'd would put a rainbow shark in a 40L (10 gal) tank. I had one in a 55 gal (208 L) and he grew pretty large, mine was 6 inches (15 cm) and he got very aggressive, chasing half on my fish and killing four. It will most likely go after your Black Skirts and Blue Rams. Looking at your profile, if you use the 1 inch per gal rule, your maxed out.

...but if your thinking about getting another tank... IMO no less than a 208 Liter.

3. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Rainbows and RTS are the same sort of requirements. 3 feet is the minimum length. Sharks are more concerned with ground area then height so a 32 gallon hex wouldn't be a good tank for it. Ideally I'd say 50 gallons and up would keep him happiest. My RTS is in a 32 gallon tank all to himself.

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Rainbow sharks get approx. 6". Minimum tank size is 55 gallons. They occupy the mid to bottom of the tank, they will patrol the whole bottom. Need caves to hide, are aggressive & territorial, will chase fish that are smaller then them, best to be kept with fish of similiar size.

I put a profile link below for you to read. :)

https://www.fishlore.com/profiles_rainbow_shark.htm

5. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you meant minimum not maximum :p

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I changed it...lol :p Don't know where I was on that one. lol

7. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

No worries :p

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. I agree that a Rainbow or Red Tail Shark should have at least 55g. Mine in my 265g still likes to chase around my Silver Dollars especially at feeding time and they are much larger than he. They can be aggressive, however he doesn't bother my Bloody Parrots period. :)
    Ken

9. platyfish Member Member

Definitely at least 50 gallons or more, I had two in my 75 gallon setup and they were to aggressive and I had to bring one of them back to the store, now its just the one and he's happy with the rest: platies, tiger barbs and more.