Tank Size For Fancy Goldfish Babies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kaelico, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Kaelico

KaelicoValued MemberMember

So I think most people would argue that 20 gallons per fancy goldfish is best and even more space is better, and also easier to keep clean. I only have a 30 gallon tank and was planning to put two fantail goldfish in it. Since they will be very small when I get them, will 30 gallons be ok for a while? And at what point should I upgrade to a 40 or 55 gallon? I don't have money for anything bigger right now since I am a student, but I'm saving up to get one in the future. But will the fish be ok in a 30 gallon as babies? By the way, the tank isn't particularly long or tall, it doesn't seem to fit standard sizing but is proportioned similar to this tank.
    Empty_aquarium.jpg
    Courtesy of Google Images

2. emerald6

emerald6Valued MemberMember

The fish would be alright in the 30 gallon as babies, but PREPARE for the large water changes.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

Yes, I think the two small goldfish should do fine the thirty gallon. Just be wary that they will grow quickly and may need the bigger tank in he near future. I know I may take some heat for this, but I understand #no$studentlife :p (living it now, lol) Just maintain the water changes and be extra vigilant!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

KaelicoValued MemberMember

How often do you recommend I do water changes and in what amount? I was thinking weekly 25-30% changes. Is that enough?

5. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

If they stay small, and your filtration is good, 30-40 is good. They produce tons of waste (they are known as large bioloaders). However, you may need to do biweekly changes of 25-30 when they get a bit bigger or if they're producing too much ammonia.

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

A rule of thumb for fancy goldfish has been 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for each additional fancy. But in my opinion, that would be a little cramped and 40-55 gallons would be better. But your 30 would be doable if not ideal.

As far as water changes, let your nitrates be your guide. You want to do large enough water changes that your nitrates never get above 20ppm (assuming 0ppm nitrates in your tap water). But I would figure on about 50% weekly.

7. goldfishbeginner

goldfishbeginnerNew MemberMember

A 30 gallon will be pretty nice for two fan tail goldfish. You can keep them in there for several years or I even use it as a permanent home tank for them. you can always upgrade to a larger tank later on if they appear to be getting big for their 30 gallon.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would be doing 30% twice a week. They'll probably be ok in there for 6 months to a year if you get them when they are very small.

9. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

You're a college student, stick to a betta. Sorry, but you have a lot of moving in your life to do and goldfish live a very long time and require tons more space than you have now or in the immediate future.
    Good luck and make the right choice.

10. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Fantail goldfish are smaller than other fancy goldfish at adult size, however they still can get quite big. 30 gallons for 2 fantails is the minimum so just make sure that you are able to commit to a larger tank in the future if necessary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice