Tank Size: Dwarf Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

TheSpasticCorydora

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i was thinking of starting a Blue legged hermit crab tank at some point. I really like them and think they're funny. I didnt plan on adding any fish JUST hermit crabs. I been trying to research them a lot but havent found good information on tank size per crab.

Most people keep them to help with cleaning the tank. I just want them to enjoy them and have them in their own tank. I was thinking of a 10 gallon but how many would I be able to keep? Id add lots of places to hide and climb as well as extra shells to move into.

Last edited:

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi there, I think 10 gallons would be fine for a handful (3-5) as long as you’re making sure they get enough to eat. Most of the time, people get hermits as part of their saltwater cleanup crew so if you don’t have enough algae and detritus to go around, supplemental feeding should be done. Make sure you cycle your tank first and be mindful that they may pick on corals (only some, most are reef safe but you can get the occasional rebel ) if you decide to go down that path later.

TheSpasticCorydora

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there, I think 10 gallons would be fine for a handful (3-5) as long as you’re making sure they get enough to eat. Most of the time, people get hermits as part of their saltwater cleanup crew so if you don’t have enough algae and detritus to go around, supplemental feeding should be done. Make sure you cycle your tank first and be mindful that they may pick on corals (only some, most are reef safe but you can get the occasional rebel ) if you decide to go down that path later.
Thanks. I plan to give it nice cycle before adding anything. I will be setting up a cory cat only tank as well. I love my scavangers! I'll keep the hermit crabs very well fed they're cute to watch when they eat.

I just could never find anything good about how many to keep in a tank. I dont to have too.many and have them fight for space or anything.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks. I plan to give it nice cycle before adding anything. I will be setting up a cory cat only tank as well. I love my scavangers! I'll keep the hermit crabs very well fed they're cute to watch when they eat.

I just could never find anything good about how many to keep in a tank. I dont to have too.many and have them fight for space or anything.
I had 3 in my 10 gallon and enjoyed them immensely good luck with yours!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
10 gallons is plenty for a few of the dwarf hermits and it could make for an interesting tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom