Tank Size, Does It Matter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BuddyD, Apr 19, 2017.

1. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

Just curious. Is bigger better when it comes to fish tanks, even if you plan on smaller fish like Danios, White Clouds, etc....

2. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

There are minimum tank sizes for certain types of fish. Bigger is of course better for some reasons. More swimming space for the fish and water parameters are less likely to crash are some. I'm sure other members can chime in regarding this. If I can make water changes easier on my end with the space I'm given I would definitely go for the biggest I can fit in my apartment.

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Of course it is. I cant think of any reason why fish would not preffer to have more swimming space and a more stable environment You dont necessarily have to go giant but all fish will benefit from that.

4. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

There is always the debate of tank size although Fishlore is probably the best with determining the minimum tank size. For most cases, bigger the tank the better.

Not all danios are small :) some get 3+ inches!

Some fish might like a smaller tank due to territorial or for security. However with a bigger tank you should also have more fish in a school. A school of 8 harlequin rasboras in a 20 gallon might be enough but if you just have 8 in a 75 gallon they probably will get stressed unless you have lots of plants but even then.

There are so many factors though when determining tanks size but no matter what the minimum tank size for a fish or community it is always best to go above the minimum tank size.

5. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Yup tank size does matter, in fact it matters a lot. Even many of the smaller fish need a bigger tank then one may think because of their bioload or activity level. A bigger tank doesn't just provide more room to swim, but also can lesson stress of fish which stress can lead to lowered immune system. It's very helpful with communities as well, because fish aren't in the other fish's face all the time, they have room to have their own territory away from the other fish type. Again this is less stress for those fish.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

In short, yes bigger is better...Most of the time. Bettas do not do well in large deep tanks unless accommodations are made for them.

7. BeanFish

What kind of depth would a fish tank need to be problematic for a betta? I dont think many tanks exceed 50 cm (does not sound problematic for a betta but I may be wrong...) or so because the deeper the more HORRIBLE it is to do maintenance lol.

8. BeanFish

What kind of fish prefer a smaller tank? It kind of sounds weird to me because I seriously doubt we will ever have a bigger tank than what nature gives to fish in the wild.

9. Al913

20 inches is a lot for many bettas I would say 16 inches is the best(41 cm). Female bettas and short fin bettas like plakats are able to handle the 20 inch height but for most of the males its very hard to get from the bottom to the surface

10. Al913

Not all fish swim out in the open :) There are a good amount of fish that will stay in one area. I watched a video earlier in the week in which the owner put a group of live bearer(a rarer kind) in a bigger tank but they would always hide in the plants and when he put them in a smaller tank they all popped out and into the open areas

11. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Long nerdy answer incoming.
    Smaller tanks work for stream margin fish. By small, I do not use tanks under 5 gallons (short term) or under 10 (long term).
    Take a stream in a jungle, a common habitat for our fish. There is always a plant overhang into the water. There is a small fish fauna that occupies it. When I fished tropical streams with 8 inch hand nets, I caught lots of fry, and smaller fish in these zones.
    2 feet from the bank, and they would be doomed. The size of fish there rises fast. Deeper, and you have larger species.
    Those margin waters get cut off, as seasonal flooding recedes. You have fish that have evolved mechanisms to survive in bad conditions, and fish that have evolved a preference for small shallow bodies of water (many tropical killies, in general, like shallow, weedy water). They get stuck in small ponds that can become puddles, even drying up and killing them if the rains don't come in time. I had some mollies caught in a pond like that in Mexico once. The day after, there was no more pond there.
    Then we have generally shallow swamp - producing air breathers like Betta splendens, because there is an oxygen shortage in the habitat. Bubble nesting Betta species often hold small territories in muddy water, not moving around a lot since if they do, another male will claim their turf.
    If we believe we should design our tanks for the fish first, habitats like that give us food for thought.

12. BeanFish

There are so many variants that saying it was because the tank is smaller is vague, IMO.

13. BeanFish

You guys can look for biotope aquarium competitions, makes you realize that rivers and lakes are just a big mess with tons of hiding spots and usually not clear water but brown water I think that plays a more important role than your aquarium being too big for a fish (refuse to believe that...)
    I loved going trough this page:

The North American part was interesting, makes me realize there are tons of ornamentalish fish in Mexico that I am missing out on lol!

14. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

When I first got my dragon goby he was in freshwater and he wasn't eating so well and he was being picked on. I ended up putting him in my 20 gal tank for about 3 months to get him to where he could eat, and sense when I was feeding him. It also helped to have a smaller tank to up the salinity in his tank slowly, to where it needed to be.
    When I put him in my 55 that broke, he went crazy exploring where his new home was...up the tank walls, down the tank walls, all around the sides, etc. When the tank broke, I put the tank water in a 10 gal tank and put him directly in it by himself...he filled up the whole thing, but he didn't freak out, he stayed where he was and was fine for the few days he was in there. He also went nuts when I put him in the 60 gal that went from a kind of new salt water tank to a brackish tank in a span of 2-3 days. He likes being confined, but that doesn't mean I want to keep him in a 10 or 20 gal tank, he's very sensitive to water changes and I'd have to do 50%+ water changes daily if I did, and when he did want to move (if he wanted to) he wouldn't be able to very well.

15. Al913

I think that your thinking of small tanks like a 20 or lower :). The guy had a 40 breeder and he tried to put them in a 75 but it didn't work out. For get what the live bears name was but it gets 2 inches max

16. Virixiss

Virixiss New Member Member

I like larger tanks simply because caring for them is exponentially easier the more volume you have. Tank parameters stay stay more stable, more leeway is given for missing a day or two of tasking, and you have much more room for equipment and decorations. In smaller tanks, parameters changes happen very quickly quickly because there is simply less water to buffer the incoming change.

In terms of smaller fish, you tend to see better shoaling behaviors in larger tanks because you can have larger schools, and they have more room to swim around and be active.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice