Tank size & capacity

1. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Wasn't sure where to put this so please move if it's in the wrong place.
    This is an international forum with members from many countries, & some of these countries use US gallons & others use Imperial gallons which can cause confusion when giving stocking advice.
    For instance a 20 US gallon tank is approx 75 litres whilst a UK 20 gallon tank is 90 litres, the differences get more marked the bigger the tank e.g a 55 US gallon tank is approx 208 litres, a UK 55 gallon is nearer 250 litres.
    When giving tank sizes it would be helpful to give litres as well as gallons as that may have an influence on the stocking advice given.

2. garikapc Member Member

I forgot how to add this but sure you can figure it out from profile settings but the site/forum has a conversion calculator you can add to your screen to do these on the fly. Maybe that will help as a stopgap?

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Isn't the imperial gallon the same as the ale gallon? I think I remember seeing that somewhere. In any event, you're right. Litres are universal and gallons can lead to confusion.

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hrmm.... With gas prices over $4.00 in California currently, maybe I should tell the cashier to make sure my pump is pumping in imperial gallons :p

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You think that's bad, try paying what we have to, it works out at around $10 per gallon!

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have this exact problem. Some of my tanks i have listed in us gallons only to find i have used uk gallons.. Meaning my 120litre tank is actually nearer 32 US gallons... Not the 25 UK gallons I listed. Very confusing.x

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning! :)

Star.gif To have a conversion calculator appear at the bottom of your screen, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on General Settings. In the new screen, scroll down to Forum Calculator. Make sure you have YES in the field and be sure to hit Save Changes. This will make the calculator appear at the bottom of most every page.

Link to another good conversion calculator:
    https://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm
    Thanks!

Ken

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have the calculator at the bottom of the pages but the quick gallon to litre conversion only uses US gallons

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I do find comfort in the fact that although i may be using uk gallons for some of my tanks, it means these tanks are actually bigger than i first thought, however a us gallon to imperial gallon converter would be good, if it can be added on?xx