Tank Sides Hanging Off The Stand

Is it okay?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Adriifu
Hello. I was recently warned here that this might possibly be dangerous. The tank has been running since Halloween and hasn't run into any problems, but I'm still going to address the issue to save me from any anxiety. The tank hangs off the edge of a treasure chest (a very sturdy one at that) by about two inches. Is this a bad thing or can I get away with it? Here's a picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 190
sushifanta
2 inches is pushing it, but as long as it is a sturdy tank it should be okay. How many gallons of water?

Adriifu
2 inches is pushing it, but as long as it is a sturdy tank it should be okay. How many gallons of water?
It's a 55-gallon tank.

danhutchins
It's a 55-gallon tank.
I wouldn't risk it. It might be ok but the key word is might. And anytime I hear "it might be ok" I just don't do it. I have severe anxiety and that would probably kill me.

smee82
Theres no way I would leave it like that its a disaster waiting to happen. Theres too much stress on the corners for it not to give sooner or later.

Adriifu
Theres no way I would leave it like that its a disaster waiting to happen. Theres too much stress on the corners for it not to give sooner or later.
I wouldn't risk it. It might be ok but the key word is might. And anytime I hear "it might be ok" I just don't do it. I have severe anxiety and that would probably kill me.
If it's not okay, what should I do to fix it? I can't exactly tear down the aquarium and buy a new stand. I don't have enough money for that at the moment.

2211Nighthawk
Yeah, not two inches. I got twitchy with 1/4” on a 20g. I wouldn’t risk it without something underneath.

danhutchins
I have mine on the floor.
If it's not okay, what should I do to fix it? I can't exactly tear down the aquarium and buy a new stand. I don't have enough money for that at the moment.
I have mine on the floor.
20180523_131830.jpg

DarkOne
Most likely it will be ok but I wouldn't risk it on anything bigger than a 20 gallon long.

I would get 3/4" plywood to put under it. HD or Lowes will cut plywood for you. You can get a 4' x 4' and have them cut 12.5" to give you a 48" x 12.5" base for your 55 gallon tank.

smee82
Ive used concrete blocks and wood planks to make my own temp stand until I could afford a stand.

Lynn78too
I definitely would risk it, especially with the rocks in the one corner. Nice set-up BTW.

sushifanta
Best bet is to put it on the floor. You probably can’t open the chest, so now you could access it.

Adriifu
Thanks for the help! I’ll definitely consider getting the plywood for support.

Fanatic
Hello! You must have all four corners of a fish tank equally supported by the object it’s sitting on.

Seasoldier
Hi, I wouldn't risk it, with all the rocks on the left end of the tank the stress exerted on the glass joints must be high & will probably give sooner or later, I'd go for the plywood support idea, it will even the weight / stress out.

Ms rose
I voted yes, but then I read the comments, so I supose I was very wrong hhaha

DarkOne
I voted yes, but then I read the comments, so I supose I was very wrong hhaha
I voted yes before I knew it was a 55g. I changed it .

Ms rose
yes I just changed mine too. don't want to cofuse folks (or look stupid for saying its ok) hahaha

Adriifu
Thanks! I’ll get the wood ASAP.

Goldiemom
Holy cow! Get the wet vac out and waiting. lol

I love your tank, by the way. The rocks stacked on one side look really great!

Adriifu
I love your tank, by the way. The rocks stacked on one side look really great!
Thank you! I had a different set-up a couple months back, but I wasn’t into it. I got 60 pounds of rocks for only $13.00 and fixed everything. I was considering adding more to continue the slope down to the right side, but I don’t know yet.

Alright, I just measured the sides. It was more of a bad estimate earlier. The left side hangs off at about 10.3 centimeters and the right side at 8.9. That’s around 4 inches for the left and 3.5 for the right. I’ll head to Home Depot and see what I can do. Would bricks be alright? Also, would it be safe to add more rocks to my scape in the future?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 97
DarkOne
This is why men can't trust women to measure anything

I'm not sure how bricks would help. Just a piece of plywood on top of the chest would help. I would go with at least 3/4" plywood. I would put eggcrate or something under the substrate if you're gonna add more heavy rocks.

Adriifu
This is why men can't trust women to measure anything

I'm not sure how bricks would help. Just a piece of plywood on top of the chest would help. I would go with at least 3/4" plywood. I would put eggcrate or something under the substrate if you're gonna add more heavy rocks.
Alright, I’ll see what I can get. I’ll probably go for whatever’s cheapest. Thanks for the help! I’ll update you all when I’m done.

Turns out bricks were the cheaper way to go. I made sure that each stack was stable by adding cardboard at the top. The water level was always a bit uneven on the right side and now it’s much better. I thought it was because of the filter, but now I know that the pressure was extremely uneven. Here’s a picture. I’ll be covering the treasure chest with some type of table mat at some point. That way the bricks won’t be as noticeable, if at all. In total, this was about $10.00 for bricks and a small piece of plywood. I used the cardboard from the recycle bin outside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 98
penguin02
Glad I was able to bring this to your attention! Otherwise you could have had a mess on the floor

Adriifu
Glad I was able to bring this to your attention! Otherwise you could have had a mess on the floor
And a bunch of dead fish.. I'm really grateful for that. Thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Loachland
  • Question
Replies
Views
AquEric
Replies
Views
drxcos