Tank Sides Hanging Off The Stand

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Adriifu, May 23, 2018.

?

Is it okay?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Hello. I was recently warned here that this might possibly be dangerous. The tank has been running since Halloween and hasn't run into any problems, but I'm still going to address the issue to save me from any anxiety. The tank hangs off the edge of a treasure chest (a very sturdy one at that) by about two inches. Is this a bad thing or can I get away with it? Here's a picture.

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

2 inches is pushing it, but as long as it is a sturdy tank it should be okay. How many gallons of water?

3. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

It's a 55-gallon tank.

4. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

I wouldn't risk it. It might be ok but the key word is might. And anytime I hear "it might be ok" I just don't do it. I have severe anxiety and that would probably kill me.

5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Theres no way i would leave it like that its a disaster waiting to happen. Theres too much stress on the corners for it not to give sooner or later.

6. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

If it's not okay, what should I do to fix it? I can't exactly tear down the aquarium and buy a new stand. I don't have enough money for that at the moment.

7. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, not two inches. I got twitchy with 1/4” on a 20g. I wouldn’t risk it without something underneath.

8. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

I have mine on the floor.
    I have mine on the floor. 20180523_131830.jpg

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Most likely it will be ok but I wouldn't risk it on anything bigger than a 20g long.

I would get 3/4" plywood to put under it. HD or Lowes will cut plywood for you. You can get a 4' x 4' and have them cut 12.5" to give you a 48" x 12.5" base for your 55g tank.

10. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Ive used concrete blocks and wood planks to make my own temp stand until i could afford a stand.

11. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I definitely would risk it, especially with the rocks in the one corner. Nice set-up BTW.

12. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

Best bet is to put it on the floor. You probably can’t open the chest, so now you could access it.

13. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Thanks for the help! I’ll definitely consider getting the plywood for support.

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello! You must have all four corners of a fish tank equally supported by the object it’s sitting on.

15. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, I wouldn't risk it, with all the rocks on the left end of the tank the stress exerted on the glass joints must be high & will probably give sooner or later, I'd go for the plywood support idea, it will even the weight / stress out.

16. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

i voted yes, but then i read the comments, so i supose i was very wrong hhaha

17. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I voted yes before I knew it was a 55g. I changed it :).

18. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

yes i just changed mine too. dont want to cofuse folks (or look stupid for saying its ok) hahaha

19. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Thanks! I’ll get the wood ASAP.

20. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Holy cow! Get the wet vac out and waiting. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice