Tank Shopping

1. Rook

Rook Initiate Member

I'm wanting to upgrade to a larger tank. Right now I have a 5 gallon with a betta and a 10 gallon with some minnows, a cory, and a pleco. I'd love something bigger for my 10 gallon fish. I found a 35 gallon hex tank on Craigslist that I'm interested in, but I feel like I remember reading somewhere that hex tanks aren't the best shape? If I got this tank, would my 10 gallon fish be okay in it? I can imagine they'd like all the extra space, but is the shape a problem? I also found a 50 gallon rectangular tank that's only a little more expensive, but further away, and as I live in a 3 story townhouse, I'm a little worried about my main living floor (where the tank would be) supporting the weight!

2. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Member Member

Hex tanks ain't really nice if you could find a 40 gallon and I think plecos get large so I don't think a 10 gallon is OK for it.
    What specie of pleco do you have

3. tetratetris

tetratetris Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

The hex may not be very appealing to the eye is one thing. Also if your fish are active and/or need a large tank footprint to move around it may be bad to have a tall tank. Also, what fish are in your tank? I would go with the 50 Rectangle. Maybe contact a contracter or if you're renting ask your landlord to.

Hope this helps!

:)

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

If you know which walls are load bearing walls and put the tank across the floor joice weight becomes less of an issue. Also check your insurance to make sure if the tank breaks it will cover the damage.

5. OP
    OP
    Rook

Rook Initiate Member

I know the 10 will be too small for the pleco in the long run, but right now he's tiny! I'm planning to upgrade to a larger tank but if he gets too big before I do, the guy at the store said I could bring him back and trade him in.

I actually find the look of the hex strangely appealing. I know, I'm weird. Haha

I have minnows right now (white cloud), and I find them very entertaining! Would they be okay in the hex? I would love other types of fish eventually but if having just minnows for now would be best, I'm open to that.

I hadn't thought of finding a contractor - good idea. If I can't find a contractor, is there anything else I can do to be sure my floor will support the weight? How much does a 50 weight when full, anyway?

Checking insurance is an excellent idea! And, knowing my luck, necessary.

Apologies for any typos or words that don't make sense. I proofed but you never know. My tablet seems to be playing terrible jokes on me whenever I type.

6. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

A 50 gallon with substrate and all the equipment will weigh around 500 pounds. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon but taking into consideration the tank and equipment weight it will be around that.

That sounds like alot but its really only what 2-4 people weigh.

7. OP
    OP
    Rook

Rook Initiate Member

That does sound like a lot, but when you say "That's what 2-4 people weigh" that really puts it into perspective - thanks!

8. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Hex tanks are kinda cool but I will say the allure wears off quickly. I gave mine to my daughter and she likes it. Not my thing but to each their own. Don't worry about your spelling, yours has actually been accurate....

Its gonna cost you with a contractor to put in more floor joists if that is what is needed. Often though if you use an area near a load bearing wall you will be just fine. I wouldn't go much more than a 55 on the third deck.

9. OP
    OP
    Rook

Rook Initiate Member

I decided to wait and see if I can find a 29 or 35 gallon rectangular tank.

10. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

I’m not sure if you have a Per Supplies Plus in your area, but I just read that they’re having a $1 per gallon sale not including the 40 and 55 gallon tanks but someone had said they’re selling those for only like $10 more. (So it would be like $50 for a 40 gallon).

11. OP
    OP
    Rook

Rook Initiate Member

We used to have one but I think they closed. I bet there's one somewhere nearby, though... I'll have to check! I think I've decided to go with a 40 gallon breeder, if I can find one. If not, something in the 30s, hopefully long and low, not tall. My arms aren't that long!

12. OP
    OP
    Rook

Rook Initiate Member

I decided to just buy a 29 gallon kit and start there. That way, I can get some friends for my cory and maybe a couple extra minnows for the school, and keep it basically as-is, just on a slightly larger scale!

13. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Member Member

Well good for you

14. OP
    OP
    Rook

Rook Initiate Member

Just kidding. I'm getting a used 55 gallon instead.

What do I need to do to a used tank? Can I just go ahead and set it up, or do I need to clean it thoroughly first?

15. Lacey D

Lacey D Member Member

I love how that works ;) Clean it thoroughly, but with just water and vinegar. Then if it wasn't set up recently, do a water test to make sure the seals are all good, because the last thing you want is for it to be all set up and come home in a week to find 55 gallons of water on the floor and stranded fish in the tank! If you have a bathtub, fill it up with water and then let it sit for 24 hours. If you want to be EXTRA cautious and have somewhere out of the way to put it, I've heard that it's an even more sure thing to fill it up only 1/4th-1/3rd of the way at a time, let that sit for 24-hrs, then fill another 1/4th-1/3rd and let that sit, and repeat until full. That way if you do have a leak, 1)you know exactly where it is, and 2)you haven't just wasted 55 gallons of water. If there is a leak, there are a lot of videos and websites on resealing aquariums yourself--I did one last weekend, and it was really easy, and and thinking about resealing the inner seams on my own 37gal, since one looks a little iffy, even though it passed the water test.

This was a good resource I used when buying a used aquarium: Used Aquariums - The First Tank Guide - Getting a Used Fish Tank Ready for Use
    And a guide to repairing leaking or compromised seals --