Tank Setup

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd play some show and tell, now that everyone has seen Atlantis, I'd like to show off his home, even though there's only one picture of it, I'd still like some input. Do I have too many plants, would it hurt to give him more hiding spaces, like little castles and stuff? Anything?

Don't worry, the water doesn't really have that orangish glow to it, just a crummy camera doing it's thing

2.jpg

3.jpg

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Betta's love plants to play and sleep in or on. If you want you can add a small ornament in there that they can hide in. They like to socialize, but they also like their privacy. At least I know my former Betta did Mr. Red. When he was given the barrels he loved them and was in them all the time napping or whatever. Other then that I think your tank looks great. Just make sure there aren't any sharp edges on those plants, so that Atlantis doesn't cut himself or rip his tail and fins. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He looks happy and yes, you may want to get him a little cave or something but be sure of two things. It needs to have more than one entry as bettas do not swim backwards and it needs to be at least 3 inches in diameter so they can get in and turn about and rest without hanging out. The openings need to be big enough that he can get in and out with no opening too small for your thumb to go into and out of very easily not hanging up on anything.

Rose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
You know what's bad? I want another tank already... lol.

When I was walking through the store today I was looking at the betta's and they had a bunch of very young ladies looking for homes. I could have scooped up at least 5 of them in a heartbeat. This is slightly off topic I know, but I'm just so happy to be back into this, I never realized how much I missed it until recently. On top of that, Atlantis is turning out to be quite the little guy to have around; greeting me with fins going just crazy, watching my every move when I walk in from work, lol I don't even think my fiance gets that excited to see me

Maybe I should line up my dresser top with 5.5 gallon tanks? I could easily fit two more on it... lol.

chickadee said:
He looks happy and yes, you may want to get him a little cave or something but be sure of two things. It needs to have more than one entry as bettas do not swim backwards and it needs to be at least 3 inches in diameter so they can get in and turn about and rest without hanging out. The openings need to be big enough that he can get in and out with no opening too small for your thumb to go into and out of very easily not hanging up on anything.

Rose
I'll keep that in mind, I see the perfect spot for it fortunately. I have seen Atlantis swim backwards a couple of times, but whether or not that was intentional or just the current grabbing him, I'm not sure of. I didn't really think anything odd of it at the time, with these new plants though the current has kind of died down a little bit so I don't think I'll be seeing him doing that anymore.

Thanks.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Asinity said:
Maybe I should line up my dresser top with 5.5 gallon tanks?  I could easily fit two more on it... lol.
That's what has happened in our dorm... I rearranged my furniture and had to move my 10 gallon to the bookcase, and then I moved my printer to beside my desk so I had room for my 5 gallon on top of my desk where there is a shelf. Most people keep textbooks and knicknacks there. I keep a 5 gallon and a 7.5. And a 1 gallon betta Q jar. And there's a tub for guppy fry in the dead space under my loft bed. And my second betta Q jar is on my desk beside my computer.

Be careful. Bettas in particular have a habit of taking over the world. Notice that I have six.

As for tank decor... Ditto to the comment about being careful about choosing things that they can get out of. I put a little jar in my 5 gallon so that my otto would have a place to go that aoSul couldn't get into. Three days later (having never witnessed the oto trying out his hideout)... I looked up to find a strangely distorted image of aoSul glaring out at me from inside the jar. Giving me the "Do NOT ask, just help me get out of here" look. I freaked out because he obviously couldn't get out, so I grabbed the jar and flipped it around, dumping him out of it. My bettas get 3 inch PVC pipe couplings as hideouts now. they can hide behind it, swim through it, and they won't get stuck.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw someone on this forum one time have a piece of PVC pipe that they coated with aquarium sealant and then rolled it in some of the aquarium gravel to match the tank gravel and it looked so cool~just an idea. Who ever it was I loved the idea!!

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
8) I think your tank looks cool. Also I agree with the advice on decorations. Lining up tanks across your dresser sounds good to me too. I have 2 divided ten gallons lined up on top of one desk where I house my 4 bettas. On another desk, I have 1 ten gallon with 2 cories, 3 otos, and 2 platies, along with my momentarily empty five gallon Q tank. On the top of my storage dresser I have another 5 gallon housing my 2 guppies. I don't think I have any more spaces to line tanks up on. LOL

CherryRose ;D

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like the aquarium setup! I have a 5.5 gallon aquarium that is currently empty right now and am going to move my betta over there for more room. Are you going to add tankmates or are you going to keep him alone? Just curious.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've browsed a few stores and didn't find any shelters that I really liked too much, and those I did like were very expensive. So the PVC idea is sounding pretty good.

Atlantis is doing excellent by himself, still taking his time eating but I can usually get 3 or 4 bloodworms per day into him without much problems. I highly doubt I will add anything to this tank.

I have thought about getting a 10 gallon, dividing it and getting a matching male and female, I've seen a bunch of adorable little girls that I had to hold back so much from getting them. At the same time, I also saw an excellent 28 gallon tank kit. So many choices, so little room

I'm surprised my fiance hasn't told me it's either her or the fish, everytime we pass a petstore, I want to stop in... when we do go in she can never drag me away from the aquariums, especially the betta's. It's horrible, I think I'm addicted.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She might love a beautiful new tank in your home. Why not try to register at the petstore and add it to the places people can shop for your wedding gifts? I do not know if they do this but I think it is a good idea for the people who really love fish. It may be a way for you to get a really nice big tank.

Rose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is an excellent idea! Although the place we are moving into isn't really a permanent place, we're likely there for around 5 years and then heading elsewhere once a family starts... but then again 28 gallons isn't exactly a gigantic tank either and still may be movable.

When it comes to pets though we both love animals, but what we tend to love is usually different. I love fish, she loves reptiles, I love birds, she loves rodents... lol We're gonna have a house full of pets! I think for now though I may set aside a little bit of cash every month specifically for a tank, what size I'm not sure but petsmart has a bunch that I would just love to have. Either that or just go nuts and get a bunch of betta tanks, it's a hard choice to make

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
WOW ... the tank is so colorful! Looks really beautiful

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom