55 Gallon Tank Tank setup

Foxstar789

I have 3, 3 spot gouramis, 1 male and 2 female. I was thinking of adding 2-3 more gouramis, if 2 then only get female but if I get 3 then 1 male and 2 female, going with the 1 male to 2 female rule. Would this be too much for my tank? Would there be anything else I should add? I read people have tiger barbs or zebra danios with gouramis.

55 gallon tank:
Blue gourami (male)
Opaline gourami (female)
Gold gourami (female)
Bristlenose pleco
2 otoclinus
6 corydoras
4 mystery snails

Java fern
Water wisteria
Water sprite
Water lettuce
Star grass
Crypts
A few fake and real logs
Mexican bowl rock
2 air stones
60g filter

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5-10 ppm
pH 7

Noroomforshoe

Gourami are iffy. It might be ok to add more, but I think it is more likly that the older ones will see new ones as intruders. I think you are safer with just the 3.
You could add a school of something instead.

Tiger barbs are iffy, they are rambunctious in your face fish. If you want to try it, know that it is a risk.

Danios, IDK, they are superactive top dwellers, they will be in the gouramis territory and preventing the gourami from settling down and resting.

Rainbow fish are active fish that keep more to themselves but also can fend for themselves. I got austrailian rainbows a year ago, they are amazing!

Upvote 0

Foxstar789

How many rainbow fish would you recommend to add to my tank?

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I don't think 8 would be too many, but I'm not convinced your original idea about adding more gouramis is a bad one. I'll tag one of our resident gourami experts to see what he has to say. jinjerJOSH22?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I did 9 austrailian rainbowss for my 55, they are doing great, they got bigger then expected. some of them are now the same size as boesmani rainbows I use to have. But they dont seem crowded or stressed in any way.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

I don't think 8 would be too many, but I'm not convinced your original idea about adding more gouramis is a bad one. I'll tag one of our resident gourami experts to see what he has to say. jinjerJOSH22?
I agree, 8 should be fine in a 4ft tank. Expect some aggression as they establish the hierarchy(from all) but a nice big group is a good thing. I would limit the males to 1 or 2, I've kept 3 males together in a group of 9, while generally ok, I think it would of been better with just the 2.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PurpleReign19
  • Question
Replies
Views
PurpleReign19
  • Question
Replies
Views