Question Tank Setup For Amazon Puffer, Fiddler Crab, And Mudskippers?

Do you think an Amazon Puffer, Fiddler Crab, Mudskipper tank would work?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Probably

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

NotFishyFishGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
hey everyone I was reading about a bunch of fish and came across the amazon puffer. They stay relatively small and big enough to really see (unlike the dwarf puffer). I had already been planning on getting a fiddler crab tank and mudskipper tank. I was wondering if I could merge all three tanks into one...not sure in the tank size yet. Since fiddler crabs need more of a slope to land, a lot of water volume space would then be taken up, meaning less space for the amazon puffer so I’m still working it out. Also, if I end up getting any of them, does anyone think it will be a good idea to sort of have high and low tide times? I could always make the land available, but have the water level go up or down at different parts of the day. I’m thinking just water pumps on timers or something.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’d say not, as both the crab and mudskipper are brackish water, while the puffer is freshwater, also the crab might try to eat the mudskipper

NotFishyFishGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’d say not, as both the crab and mudskipper are brackish water, while the puffer is freshwater, also the crab might try to eat the mudskipper
isn't the puffer also brackish? ok so you don't think it will work because they might eat each other. So fiddler crabs will try to eat the mudskipper. What if the mudskipper is larger, like not big enough to be eaten?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
isn't the puffer also brackish? ok so you don't think it will work because they might eat each other. So fiddler crabs will try to eat the mudskipper. What if the mudskipper is larger, like not big enough to be eaten?
The puffer is full freshwater(as far as I know), I would say when it comes to crabs and crawfish they should be alone as they will try to eat their tank mates even if it’s big

Puffer_Whisperer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also, the puffer will try to eat the fiddler crab, guaranteed

You could do a mud-skipper and green spotted puffer/figure eight puffer tank though

NotFishyFishGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Also freshwater
ok so I changed my mind about th e red eyed heard they are aggressive. A lot of sites say that gsp s, amazon puffers, and figure eights are brackish...What about figure eight, mudskipper, and fiddlr carb? Don't need a 100% guarantee it will work, just want to know if there is a good chance. OR if I tried the same thing except amazon puffers instead of figure eights, what is going to go wrong?

Puffer_Whisperer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The figure 8 get about 4-5 inches and the gsp get to be 6-7 inches. Fiddler crabs cannot be kept with puffers. Puffers eat almost every type of crustacean and mollusk.

NotFishyFishGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you think I should try? I think I might try the setup and if they do end up eating the crab, I’ll just remove him and take out his shore so the puffer has more room. But if the crab is really injured, I might leave it in as food for the puffer

eustoma01

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think any type of puffer would attempt to eat the crab... it honestly just depends, though. A dwarf puffer yes is freshwater only unlike all other puffers. Fish do have different personalities but from what I know most puffers are pretty aggressive when it comes to critters... I mean people breed snails to feed to the puffers so I don't think keeping a crab with them would be a good idea haha

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 25 69.4%

Top Bottom