Tank Setup Advice

Bubba3474

Hey everyone,
I currently have a 30 gallon semi-planted community tank with the following:
I recently purchased a 55 gallon which I have already gotten the equipment for (including my first canister filter, Fluval 407 :D). Here’s the dilemma, I move to college in a month. Should I wait to set it up there or would it be easier to get it cycled now and then transport it? It’s a 45 minute drive, I attend Temple University in Philadelphia and I live outside of the city in the suburbs.
Stocking wise for the 55, I was going to move all my fish from the 30 gallon and add some more. They have all thrived in the 30 and I can’t wait to give them an even bigger and better home! Looking forward to hearing your advice!!

Attachments

• 9811DC02-46AE-4A97-8292-48714C5AFE81.jpeg
    9811DC02-46AE-4A97-8292-48714C5AFE81.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 15

CoryMaster151

Hey There,
if I was you I would set it up when you get to college as cycling can take a little bit of time and it would be a little harder to transport a more established tank with water. It is personally up to you but that's what I would do
sorry to not help much
best of luck

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Yes set up at college. Or wait till your done with college!!:). Most fish don’t drink beer or like it in their tank. Just a thought :).

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Are you keeping the 30g going too? You can add all of the filter media to the 407 along with the new media that comes with it. You may need more media for the 407 it has a lot more room than what they give you to start with. I would skip the carbon and use something else. What kind of media is in your filter now?

I would put some sponges and floss in the bottom basket. Your existing media in the bottom of the second basket with the new fluval media on top of that. The third the new media of your choice. I have the substrat that was in my Eheim canister in the 3rd basket. I really like the 407 good choice! I only clean mine every 3 or 4 months. Make sure you lube the gasket every time you take it apart.

I would just put everything from the 30 into the 55. Sand, deco, everything. Do NOT add any more fish for a bit so the filter can get going for the fish you have now. You will see a spike but it is not as bad as when you first start a brand new cycle. After the spike happens (or may not) add some fish very slowly so the bb can keep up with the new load. I would run it a few weeks before adding any fish.

Upvote 0

Bubba3474

Yes set up at college. Or wait till your done with college!!:). Most fish don’t drink beer or like it in their tank. Just a thought :).
Lol love this comment. But on a serious note, I share an apartment with my friend and our doors individually lock.. separate rooms ftw!
Are you keeping the 30g going too? You can add all of the filter media to the 407 along with the new media that comes with it. You may need more media for the 407 it has a lot more room than what they give you to start with. I would skip the carbon and use something else. What kind of media is in your filter now?

I would put some sponges and floss in the bottom basket. Your existing media in the bottom of the second basket with the new fluval media on top of that. The third the new media of your choice. I have the substrat that was in my Eheim canister in the 3rd basket. I really like the 407 good choice! I only clean mine every 3 or 4 months. Make sure you lube the gasket every time you take it apart.

I would just put everything from the 30 into the 55. Sand, deco, everything. Do NOT add any more fish for a bit so the filter can get going for the fish you have now. You will see a spike but it is not as bad as when you first start a brand new cycle. After the spike happens (or may not) add some fish very slowly so the bb can keep up with the new load. I would run it a few weeks before adding any fish.
Thank you very much for this! Covered a lot of info that I definitely needed! I haven’t bought any additional media for the 407, besides what it comes with. Here’s a photo:

image.jpg
To clarify, it comes with that filter media in the picture along with carbon and the pads… how should I go about putting that in the 30g to get some beneficial bacteria? And to answer your question, once the 50 gal is setup, I’m going to take down the 30 gal and put it in storage for the future (fish room post-college). :D
Here’s a photo of the new tank & stand along with the filter and heater! Got it for $70 on FB Marketplace and cleaned it up, now spotless!

Attachments

• EAE4ADE4-5375-47F4-B2AA-864F87A197EA.jpeg
    EAE4ADE4-5375-47F4-B2AA-864F87A197EA.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

StarGirl

There really isn't a good way to seed that media unless you run it along with your other filter in the old tank. That may be too much current for the 30g. Can you stuff one of those black small sponges in your HOB? I believe those go in the bottom basket. Does the 30g have a cartridge filter or sponges and media in it?

Upvote 0

Bubba3474

I’m going to try shoving some sponges in the 30 gal HOB filter shortly, just like you suggested… and it’s a cartridge filter. Will live sand help develop bacteria quicker? StarGirl

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

For the change over since your not keeping the 30g running. After setting up the 55 and it’s new filter and getting it where it matches your 30g. The day before you move the fish take the media that is in the 30g filter and add it to the 407 in the 55. Keep it wet and close to temp for the trip over. Once that media is in the 407 filter it will be enough for the fish that you move from the 30. Give the tank a few weeks before you add new fish and don’t add a lot. Just a few at a time so the bacteria can build to the new fish. Transporting your fish needs to be prepared too. A battery operated air pump, some of the water from the 30 should help for a successful move.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I pretty sure live sand is for salt water tanks only.

Just letting the sponge run in the hob on the 30 for the month before you leave will seed the sponge from the 407 pretty good. Will be a little extra kick. When you take down the 30g keep the cartridge and sponges wet or the bb will die. When you set up the 407 put it all in like 86 said. The cartridge rip the fabric off from it and put that in not the whole cartridge.

Upvote 0

Bubba3474

Thank you guys so much for the help!!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies