Tank set up G. Rio Branco

1. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I have spent the last month setting up another 6x2x2ft planted tank for my gf that was supposed to be getting a bunch of apistos & two plecs. I have just been informed that she has changed her mind & has ordered 5 Geophagus Rio Branco that will be arriving tommorow. I'm fairly sure I know the answer already, but will the plants be okay if I surround the bases with large river pebbles? I have done searches on this fish but can't find any info on them other than they get to about 28cm. Should I move the plants out while I have the chance & decorate with wood & rock? I'm rather skeptical that plants can survive with 28cm fish digging around all the time.

2. clownloachy Initiate Member

sorry, but i doubt your plants would last a day in there. Rio Brancos get huge. do your research on these fish! if you don't know anything about them they will not survive

3. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Hey Nutter

I was on the other forum, I haven't been there in a long time.
    I posted there also here is what I put.

Any more info on them?

Rio Branco to me sounds to be a collection point rather than a species, ie a river and or city.

Brian

I found some info by searching Geophagus sp. "Rio Branco"
    Try that.
    I don't think they are a described species, seems to be a species of Geophagus found in the Rio Brance area from the quick reading I did.

I would look up info on Geophagus found in Brazil and that too should be helpful.

Brian

4. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Thats pretty harsh as Nutter usually does a pretty good job on looking up info on fish.
    Also kind of harsh coming from someone with 5 clown loaches in a 50gal.

Brian

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Well stated, Brian.

Clownloachy-we ALL treat each other with respect on Fishlore. It's one of the MANY things that makes this such a wonderful forum to be a part of.I agree, Nutter does his research on fish. Some fish are difficult to find information on, especially when looking into some of the "exotic" species. Many species of geo aren't widely kept, so information can be somewhat limited. Fishlore is a wonderful place to get information on some of these less-known species because some of our members keep them and can advise on care, tank requirements, etc.

6. clownloachy Initiate Member

for your info, that is a temorary tank, and the loaches are babys. sorry if that was harsh, but im kinda upset right now about some stuff:sign0013:. the loaches permanent home is going to be my friends 115 gallon dedicated to clowns.

7. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I already did the search with the parameters of "Geophagus 'sp' Rio Branco as well as other searches. Info on them is extremely limited. All I have found out is that they are from the Rio Branco basin, that they get to about 28cm & they are rather rare in Aus. I kind of figured that the plants would have to go as soon as I found out that she had changed her mind. I've moved most of them into some of my other tanks & just left the big swords, anubius & java fern & surrounded the bases of the rooted plants with some 50m-80mm river pebbles to limit how much they can dig around those areas. Thank you Brian. Thank you also Bolivian Baby for the defense.

Clownloachy - As you would notice in the first post I said that the GF was supposed to be getting apistos but changed her mind without consulting me first, so I have had to change plans & do all my research at the last moment. My fish always survive. I know the water conditions Geos require quite well & I have no problem providing those conditions as well as knowing the general diet of the geo family. I also have over 30 tanks so if they arn't getting along it isn't a problem for me to split them up. I'm merely asking to find out how they go with plants as some of the smaller Geos are fine with plants & to find out if I should be splitting them up straight away. Personally I don't like the idea of 5 - 28cm fish in a 6x2x2ft tank but it is her tank, I just do the maintainance. I only put my foot down if things get out of hand or she wants to do something totally ridiculous. As for your mood, I really don't care. I'm not some complete mug & I don't appreciate you treating me like one. Especially with the 5 loaches you have in the 50g & then your thinking of putting an Oscar in it when the loaches are out. Tanks too small for an Oscar to be comfortable in. Maybe you should be the one doing the research. I at least have the common sense to ask & be prepared for trouble.

8. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Hey Nutter

I did some more looking last night. It appears the Rio Branco is in the west/central (kind of north too...lol) part of Brazil. I would look at other species coming from Peru and Bolivia for more info. Maybe even some from further north like Colombia and Venezuela.

The searching I did they do not appear to be a discribed species. The pics I could come up with they look similiar to G. Altifrons and G. Abalios because of the "spotted" pattern in the tail. But there are some pics that show a "stripped" tail similiar to G. Proximus. The reason for this is probably simple, people posting pics with the fish name wrong.

G. Abalios comes from I believe Venezuela and Colombia so north of your fish.

G. Altifrons once again if my memory is correct are found in Brazil and Peru. So I wonder if Geophagus sp. "Rio Branco" is a varient of G. Altifrons? Yours are coming from Brazil but also the area they are from (from the name Rio Branco anyways) is right at the border with Peru. So as far as care, from what I can come up with, I would go with the same as or very close to G. Altifrons.

Hope that helps some.

Brian

9. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Brian. I figured much the same thing. Apparently when they first got to Aus it was in a shipment of Altifrons & they were sold as such but it was later realised that it was a different fish. I pulled all the plants out of the tank & added a couple of large bits off wood & a few large rocks yesterday in preperation for these 5 new fish of hers. You can imagine my surprise when she arrived home with 10 of them! I was less than impressed.:mad: Fortunately they are only Juveniles at this stage & she only wants to keep 4 that get along & have nice colors. I'm having to upgrade the filters to a couple of Pro 3's to deal with all of the mess they are going to make though & the Plecs have had to be moved to somewhere quieter. The way she changes her mind all the time & insists on overfeeding & having incompatible fish makes me really regret getting her her own tank. Now she has the aquarium bug but doesn't want to learn the how properly so it's up to me to try to make everything work for her & weather the storm when I tell her she is wrong.:) Thanks again for the help Brian.

10. btate617 Well Known Member Member

No problem Nutter.

10 will be fine. Wait until they hit 4" or so and then thin them out.