Tank set up and questions for a beginner (Updates pg 4: problems! HELP!) - Page 2

Butterfly

How big are the frogs? Were there any marks on the fish that died?
What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? sorry for so many questions.
Carol

greenidentity

I don't have 4 pages of responses to the last 2 updates I made. That's why I posted the thread in Freshwater Disease, because no one was looking here anymore at my updates, so I thought linking it in a diff. place would help it get more attention.

The frogs are small, like an inch ot two big. Typical Dwarf Frogs. My levels are all fine, except the PH is high but it always has been. I haven't lost anymore fish, and now all signs of Ich are gone. The female guppy now has a white spot on her tail, but it isn't ich. I don't know what to make of it, it's just as if she developed a "bleach" spot on her tail. I'm not sure if she is pregnant or not, she looks sort of fat but maybe she is just fully grown. Otherwise all the fish are ok. I am trying to keep the temp at 85 degrees, and am doing 30-50% water changes every other day. I am hoping the problem is gone....is there anything else I can do?

Butterfly

Keeping the temp up and doing water changes for 14 days total should make sure the ich is gone.
Guppys and neons both are very sensitive to any ammonia or nitrites and high Nitrates and when there is a problem or illness in a tank a spike of any of these is possible.
Sometime you never know why you lose some fish but this is my best guess.
Carol

greenidentity

Our fish tank has been messed up with something. We had 8 neons, and now have one. Both oto's have also died, plus one guppy. The frogs look terrible, but all other fish are OK (Angelfish, 3 Guppies, 2 Cory's, 1 Congo Tetra). I have no clue what happened. At first, we suspected Ich. I saw what looked like it on some of the fish. I also think we added too many fish at once (we added 7 neons all at once awhile ago) But now I'm wondering about neon tetra disease?? But why would the frogs be sick? Our levels are all fine, ammonia, nitrate and nitrites. Why are the other fish ok, except the one guppy and the oto's that we lost? I am so confused and sad that our frogs are not well. I love those frogs. I am at a loss as to what is wrong with them. I am afraid to get any more fish until I know the tank is healthy.

Stradius011

Do not keep African Dwarf Frogs with other fish! You should keep them in their own tank! Neon tetras are VERY sensitive to the water. Have you gotten a filter yet? If not, I think you should get one.

greenidentity

I thought Dwarf frogs were ok to keep with fish?? And we've had a filter for awhile now. All the fish I have left (in my signature) seem ok so far, even the lone neon. I still don't knwo what is happening. We also lost a mystery snail the other day as well.

I don't know if I should add more now or if the tank will never be safe again. I feel at a complete loss.

greenidentity

Just an update for anyone who follows the thread.

After the tank disaster, the total loss was 7 neons, 1 female guppy, 2 frogs ( I don't know why she died and the others survived!) and 2 oto's. Since the disaster, we've only bought one Pleco, who died today and I have NO idea why! I had even looked at him an hour earlier and he seemed fine, sucking away on the glass. I also just did a water change yesterday. I don't get what happened to him, and the frogs deaths are still a mystery. We've never found the frogs, but haven't seen them in a long time. So they are assumed dead.

All my levels are fine, same as always with a high PH but it's always been that way...

I still don't know what happened. Whatever it was, it hit the neons the hardest. We still have one lone neon in the tank. Today, we bought our first new fish since the disaster--a female guppy to replace the one we lost. She seems fine so far, so I hope everything goes well.

Anyone have any ideas about what happened to my Pleco and frogs?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom