Question Tank running hot Is it safe to turn filters off?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i for the life of me still cannot find out why my aquarium is running hot still, like some of you have responded to my old post. would it be safe to turn my filters off over night to find out whats heating my tank up? i put in some seachem safe before hand so they should be protected me thinks

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should be fine as long as your media is kept wet. You could also add the media and a bubbler to a bucket

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I hate to disagree with other people.
I have a hot climate to contend with. Turning filters off at night is not the answer.
Adding Prime is just an emergency solution . This idea needs to be smacked on the head as a bad idea.

If you have internal power filters I can 100% guarantee that any filter OR power head with a motor running in water will slowly raise the water temperature. You do not need to test this out. You need a filter with the motor outside of the tank or a sponge filter,box filter combination. It needs to be cycled before you can remove the old filter. Power heads are also sold that have the motor on the outside of the glass.

Things you can and should do if your tank water is getting over 30 degrees centigrade/ 86 f.
Turn the light off. Remove the lid . Add a fan blowing across the top of the water. Have multiple bottles of conditioned water frozen in the freezer and add those day and night. DO COLD WATER changes.
Just a couple of degrees is going to help.
Having done water changes 7 degrees centigrade colder than tank water myself to encourage spawning I can say first hand it’s scary for the human . Perhaps just do small slightly colder water changes as it will seem like going against everything you have learnt about matching water temperature .

As I wrote this I saw Mike’s comment , definitely check the heater first.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm...
When I first started I too was concerned with my water temp increasing and its effects on the inhabitants.
Most fish are tolerant of a gradual increase of few degrees here and there but it would be advisable to keep an eye on this during heat wave.

Doubtful its the filters causing the increase and I would be hesitant to turn them off. In fact the surface water movement caused by the flow actually transfer heat out and oxygenate the water.
Some variables to consider:
Ambient room temp, if it gets warmer during the day of course it will eventually raise the temp.
Direct sunlight, of course it will eventually raise the temp.
Lighting, depending on the type, could raise the temp.
Tank Lid, removing the lid can assist with this heat transfer, although be careful if you have any fish that might jump and keep an eye on too much water evaporating from the aquarium.

1. As mentioned, check your heater, in fact unplug it for a day and see what happens?
2. As mentioned add some air stones, will help with the heat transfer and oxygenate the water.
3. Try a fan over the surface of the water.

Good Luck!

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flyfisha said:
I hate to disagree with other people.
I have a hot climate to contend with. Turning filters off at night is not the answer.
Adding Prime is just an emergency solution . This idea needs to be smacked on the head as a bad idea.

If you have internal power filters I can 100% guarantee that any filter OR power head with a motor running in water will slowly raise the water temperature. You do not need to test this out. You need a filter with the motor outside of the tank or a sponge filter,box filter combination. It needs to be cycled before you can remove the old filter. Power heads are also sold that have the motor on the outside of the glass.

Things you can and should do if your tank water is getting over 30 degrees centigrade/ 86 f.
Turn the light off. Remove the lid . Add a fan blowing across the top of the water. Have multiple bottles of conditioned water frozen in the freezer and add those day and night. DO COLD WATER changes.
Just a couple of degrees is going to help.
Having done water changes 7 degrees centigrade colder than tank water myself to encourage spawning I can say first hand it’s scary for the human . Perhaps just do small slightly colder water changes as it will seem like going against everything you have learnt about matching water temperature .

As I wrote this I saw Mike’s comment , definitely check the heater first.
i agree but i they never made my tank jump to 83 before. my previous tank had 8 gallons more of water but it still required my heater to keep it at 77, the heater doesnt even get powered up now with inkbird controller. so im just dotting all my ts,

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
maybe i should look into a chiller , but they seem to be super expensive. especially if you need one for 29 gallons(109L)

New Threads