Tank region

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by raif281, Jul 27, 2015.

1. r

raif281 Valued Member Member

noob here. Im doing lots of research before i start my first tank. You know comparing certain fish temps, regions of the tank, ph and all that good stuff. what I'm trying to figure out is which region(s) of the tank killifish hangout/stay at. top, bottom, middle, all? didn't seem to find it on the fishlore killifish description page. thanks for any input.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

EricV, you're up. He's our resident killifish expert. But they mostly stay on the top of the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    r

awesome Dom thanks!

4. Aqua Hero

Aqua Hero Well Known Member Member

well after doing some quick easy research i found out that they normally swim in the middle regions

5. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on the species. Most will spend most of their time at mid-level while others (like the most readily available golden wonders) will spend almost all of their time at the surface.

6. Aqua Hero

Aqua Hero Well Known Member Member

Well I wasn't Completely wrong

Sent from my D2303 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    r

thanks Ericv! I was looking at the Nothobranchius biography on this site. so pretty much all of them spend their time mid-level besides the golden wonders which mostly stay by the surface.

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, there many that spend time at the bottom as well. Nothos tend to be just off the bottom, rather than mid-level. The North American Pupfish species all live on the bottom, as do a number of Fundulus species. A number of Rivulin species also stay pretty close to the bottom.

The Golden Wonder is supposedly a color form of Aplocheilus lineatus. This is a moderately large, aggressive predatory species. Most of the Epiplatys species also spend their time at the surface. A lot of the Lampeyes tend to stay near the surface.

Lumping Killifish together is kind of like lumping all Cichlids as the same. There are actually several families of fish that are considered Killifish; only one family contains all the Cichlids.

9. OP
    OP
    r

thanks chromedome!

10. OP
    OP
    r

hey also Eric do I need to keep so many of them together, are they school fish? I was thinking a pair, male and a female or maybe just a male as I saw they said 2 males tend to fight and I don't want to risk that. I was thinking about getting this one, I believe it's the nothos killifish. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438088694.137221.jpg

11. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah that's one of the nothobranchius species.

Again there's a lot of variation in behavior among the different types of killifish. Some are more tolerant of each other than others.

Most nothos are annuals however so be prepared for a short lifespan. I'd definitely at least get a pair because unless you get them to breed you'll be replacing them in about a year.

12. OP
    OP
    r

gotcha, thats probably a no on the nothos for now then. I'm just getting a chance to read some more about them on the web. I read into the breeding and that seems a bit out of my reach for me for now, any other killifish that arnt annual? I just read something about the Aphyosemion are those nothos as well or different? how long do they live?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice