Tank Recommendations?

1. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Must be under $50, desktop size, good filter(not under-gravel!), big enough for one betta and possibly a small snail.
    I've been doing my research and every tank I find that I like gets bad reviews.

Currently considering the Marineland Nook 3. it's $40 at petsmart and gets fairly good reviews, anyone have any experience with this tank?

Thanks in advance!

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I think the fluval spec desktop tanks are the best small tank set ups out there. Have you looked at those? They are a bit spendy, but the filtration and everything is excellent.

3. Aster Well Known Member Member

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

+1 on the fluval specs for beta tanks. I have a spec v with a beta and a nerite and it's a great tank. One of the better beta tanks in my opinion. It is a little pricey though as you are probably going to drop around 80 bucks for the spec V

[​IMG]

5. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Another plus this way for the Fluval SpecV.

6. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

The problem with the top fin 5 gallon kit is that you will most likely want to replace the filter. I really don't think top fin filters are very good. With that being said, if you purchase that kit AND a new filter, you are spending approx the same you would on the fluval. Not only that, but those top fin 5 gallon tanks are not really "designed" for desktops like the fluval specs are.

You get what you pay for. If it is something the OP can afford, I think the fluval is the best. If it is a cost issue and it is too expensive, then I agree the 5 gallon top fin kit is a pretty good deal.

I have both by the way....so I have first hand experience with both tanks.

7. Aster Well Known Member Member

The reviews seem to say that the filter is alright, but I'm planning to replace the filter with a sponge filter ($2-3) anyway, so it's not a big deal for me.

It is a cost issue for me because my parents are already reluctant to let me get another tank, much less spend $80 on it. If it's overall not a bad tank, I'll take it :) The OP also mentioned that cost must be under $50.

8. PythonTheBetta Member Member

I've heard good things about sponge filters... where could I get one?

9. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I like using Amazon they always have great prices

10. Aster Well Known Member Member

I got mine off Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/XY-2831-Sponge-Filter-Aquarium-10-gallon/dp/B0056XVF82/ref=cm_rdp_product

Sponge filters are suitable for bettas because of their gentle current. I use one in my 10g so my guppy fry don't get sucked up. It's cheap and does its job, so I have nothing else to say :) It'll be more than enough filtration for a smaller tank. I believe you can also get them at stores but like Bizaliz said they're cheaper online, if you have the time for the 2-week shipping for this particular one.

11. BettaGirl22 Well Known Member Member

I personally love the Aqueon Mini Bow.

12. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

The one I had was terrible. Hood = incandescent, filter = water runs OVER a filter pad, not even through and is too weak, acrylic = easily scratched, bowed = distorted view. Maybe they've upgraded their stuff since then though, bought it 2-3 years ago.

13. velveteentuzhi Member Member

I'm not a big fan of the aqueon minibow either. The bowed viewing panel makes everything look weird, and the filter it came with didn't work well with my betta.
    The fluval is such a beautiful tank, though I haven't personally tried it

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. PythonTheBetta Member Member

the Fluval is beautiful but sadly very much out of my(and my teacher's) price range. I showed her the 5 gallon kit that Aster mentioned earlier but unfortunately it will be a while until she can buy it. In the meantime I'm going to try to contact National Geographic and see if they will replace the filter

15. UnkeptSpoon50 Member Member

Sorry to hear that, but honestly fluvals/marine land are the best. I have an eclipse 3 tank. Look on Amazon for deals, last time I looked, you could get the 5g for 75 bucks, expensive, but worth it. They look amazing, utilize 3 stage filtration, and marine lands use a bio wheel, one of the best filters out there.

16. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What about looking for a secondhand tank?

17. Aster Well Known Member Member

Petco should also be having its $/gallon sale soon, minimum of 10 gallons. You could pick up a 10 gal for $10 and a hood off Amazon for $20-40, depending on which hood you get. Throw in the sponge filter, substrate, and decor and you're good :)

18. PythonTheBetta Member Member

I've considered this but I'd be leery of getting a used tank... I've seen a few at thrift stores but there's no way to test if they hold water until you bring them home and if they don't you're stuck with a leaky tank. I'd also be afraid of the tank carrying any diseases or just being not cleanable. I'd feel better getting a new tank

19. PythonTheBetta Member Member

I'd love to put Python in a big tank like that but I think a 5 gallon desktop would be the most there'd be room for in the classroom

20. PythonTheBetta Member Member

anyone have experience with this filter? it seems to get pretty mixed reviews. (just exploring all of my options!)
    [​IMG]