Tank Reccomendations?

dramanea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
I'm considering a Betta, and have decided upon a five gallon tank. The problem is, there are so many tank kit options, I don't know where to start. Glass or acrylic? Hexagon or square? What tanks do you guys have experience with?
A couple other Betta questions: How often should I do a water change? Also, is an air pump safe?
Thanks!

oscarsbud

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I prefer glass over acrylic because it doesn't scratch as easily. I have 2 that are rectanglular. I have 10 gallon tanks for each of my bettas but the 5 gallons I have are also glass. Water changes should be made weekly. Do you mean an air pump for an air stone or to run a filter, I don't have air stones runnng in either of my tanks. Bettas aren't really crazy about a lot of water movement. I do use an air pump to run the sponge filter I have in one of my tanks.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bettas dont need height to the tank so the longer and wider the tank the better. for small tanks i always get glass. actually i have all glass, only real reason to get acrylic is to lower the wight of it so its nice on big tanks imo but thats it.

1 water change a week of 50% is what i do.

air pump safe? yes y wouldnt it be, id use it to run a sponge filter instead of getting a HOB.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love the Aqua Culture 5g aquarium kits they sell at Walmart.

I have all my bettas in these kits. My only issue with them is that I had to replace the filters within a year, but other than that, they've been wonderful

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Acrylic is stronger than glass, too. Though you don't have to worry about a betta cracking the tank...

While the filters that come with the little kits aren't that great, they don't need to be - not for a betta.

dramanea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
While the filters that come with the little kits aren't that great, they don't need to be - not for a betta.
Are Bettas a lot hardier than other fish? How long of a life span do they have?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are Bettas a lot hardier than other fish? How long of a life span do they have?
My point was that the demands on the filter should be minimal. In my experience most fish are equally easy/difficult to keep. If you provide what they need, they are easy to keep. If not, they are hard. Their average life span is about 3 years. Some have been known to live longer.

oscarsbud

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They like to have someplace to hide, like a cave or something similiar. Mine like to hide in and under broadleafed plants. If you get fake plants, look for silk. They won't cause fin damage as can some of the harder plastic ones. Same goes for any hiding spot you provide. Make sure there are no rough or sharp edges.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom