Tank Ready For Fish!

Betta02

Reaction score
Hey all, after almost two months, my tank is finally cycled! I've been doing some research, and think I have narrowed it down to a few different fish, just wondering how many max, who to start out with, and how many?
My tank is a 35 Gallon hex, these are the fish I am interested in getting:
Plan #1:
Guppies - Male Only
Cory Cat - (Are these the same as Corydoras?)

Plan#2:
Angel Fish
Small school of ???
I also like the Cherry Barbs, Neon or Ember Tetras
Thanks ahead of time! I'd be happy to hear any suggestions on other types of fish as well.

Canacullus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cory is a shortened name for corydoras.
What substrate do you have?
What water temp?
What gh/kh/ph?
What are the no3 levels?
What lighting?
What decor/plants?
What ferts/water conditioners?
How often are you doing water changes?
Any fish already in there?

The answers to these questions will make it easier for us to help you.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Plan 1 would be most peaceful. And cory cats is slang for corydoras so yes same. Id recommend them the most lol

Plan 2... 35g is a bit small for an angelfish, but as a singleton maybe not so bad but they can get big. Smaller tetras may be seen as a snack... I love cherry barbs and their personality would par well id think, but they can be super nippy and may nip at the angels long fins.

OP
Betta02

Betta02

Reaction score
aquanerd14 said:
Cory is a shortened name for corydoras.
What substrate do you have?
What water temp?
What gh/kh/ph?
What are the no3 levels?
What lighting?
What decor/plants?
What ferts/water conditioners?
How often are you doing water changes?
Any fish already in there?

The answers to these questions will make it easier for us to help you.
Substrate: Sand
Water Temp: 78 ish
PH: 8.0 (have not tested GH) but water here is described as hard water - Well water
Nitates: 5 (Is this no3?)
LED lighting that came with the hood
Plastic soft plants
Just added API Quick Start with large water change today
I'll do water changes as testing dictates, at least 1x/week
No fish yet.
I did add a few more plants to the back of the tank today when I did the water change.

Attachments

OP
Betta02

Betta02

Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
Plan 1 would be most peaceful. And cory cats is slang for corydoras so yes same. Id recommend them the most lol

Plan 2... 35g is a bit small for an angelfish, but as a singleton maybe not so bad but they can get big. Smaller tetras may be seen as a snack... I love cherry barbs and their personality would par well id think, but they can be super nippy and may nip at the angels long fins.
So on the Cherry Barbs, probably not a good idea with the guppies either? Initially I wanted a couple larger fish as the main focal points, but I'm starting to lean towards more small fish.
We only have one store here locally, and it's a small town. I'm assuming these fish are readily available there, but if they don't have some of them they will order them for me. I know they have guppies all the time for sure.
I'm trying to stay with the hardier fish, I'm not a super beginner, but still don't want to stress too much over my fish. They're supposed to be relaxing!!

I had toyed with the idea of a Betta sorority for a bit, (Bettas are my favorites) but I don't know that I can pull that off. Plus I didn't realize at first that they would do better in a shorter tank being that they are labyrinth fish. I think I'd need a longer, shallower tank before I attempted that.

OP
Betta02

Betta02

Reaction score
MissNoodle said:

So if I went with Plan #1, how many of each fully stocked?

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Betta02 said:
So if I went with Plan #1, how many of each fully stocked?
Given that its a hexagon tank, the footprint is smaller for the cories, so id stick to smaller species.

So id look at
6-8 male guppies (if you went with endlers you could do up to 10-12)
6-8 cories (with your temperature id go either bronze/albino bronze, trilineatus (sold as "julii" in most stores), or sterbai. Avoid peppered and panda as they need cooler temps (below 77)
And you'd still have room for a couple "centerpieces". Id suggest a trio of honey gourami. OR a *single* dwarf gouramI (aggressive with other gouramis so needs to be single).
Alternatively a molly or platy could be placed as a centerpiece too. Males would be ideal (especially with the molly as mollies and guppies can hybridize. Platies and swordtails cannot cross with guppies). Personally, mollies are awesome and id choose them over platies if I had to choose)

Canacullus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Betta02 said:
Substrate: Sand
Water Temp: 78 ish
PH: 8.0 (have not tested GH) but water here is described as hard water - Well water
Nitates: 5 (Is this no3?)
LED lighting that came with the hood
Plastic soft plants
Just added API Quick Start with large water change today
I'll do water changes as testing dictates, at least 1x/week
No fish yet.
I did add a few more plants to the back of the tank today when I did the water change.
Unfortunately, this water is not acidic enough for most south american and Asian fish. I need to know the gh first, but I suggest African fish. Do you have a test kit?

New Threads