Tank Quality Concerns / 125g Ideas

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello! I am somewhat of a newbie. Awhile back I had a 36g planted tank with 6 green tiger barbs along with a few nerite snails and that is the extent of my knowledge. I know all of the basics of cycling, water testing, diseases and isolation tanks. ETC.

So! My boyfriend and I have owned our house for 3 years now and are finally deciding to pull the trigger and start another tank now that we have better schedules and space! We are going to be getting a 125gal most likely. I've never had a tank that big so don't really know what equipment I need. I know lots of filtration for sure but I only have experience with aquaclear ones that hang on the back.

He has a big concern that I never dealt with, and that is potential leaking of tanks. My question is are there any tank manufacturers that are preferred over others? ie. should we not purchase something from PetSmart, because that's where we were looking. My idea is maybe we can add extra acrylic/silicone to the tank seams to add extra security for us, would that be a good idea?

This time around I am not doing a planted tank, except for maybe some very hardy ones. I don't want to do all of the different types of liquid plant food and all that jazz, we would like it to be more simple but I probably will still use the Ecocomplete subtrate below gravel and have good quality lights. We went looking at fish today and he really likes the black angelfish but I know angels can be aggressive and we are interested in maybe having 2-3 different types of fish that would get along with shrimp (he *really* wants shrimp so we are making a list surrounding those guys.) What fish are active yet docile enough to be housed with shrimp? The tank will definitely have lots of hiding places. I enjoy tanks with large swimming area, but with hidden pvc tunnels and heavy plants in some areas. I am also possibly considering trying my hand at saltwater, because our local aquarium shop we can buy RODI water so I don't have to do that portion of work lol. I just don't know if I would be successful with that. I am just overwhelmed and confused! Need to get a list together with a solid plan.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought my Marineland / Top Fin 120 long from Petsmart nearly five years ago. Got it at their black friday sale for $300, tank & stand.
Tank seems to be top notch, thick glass & plenty of silicone. The stand is made of heavy particle board, but surprisingly very steady. No problems so far. Its been great.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, thank you that is the one we were looking at.
We are thinking of peacock cichlids as the main group of fish. 4 or 5 of them.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well for the tank I would buy new for sure. Are the Petsmart tank good? I’m not sure I do have a 45 from Petsmart that is about a year old and have had no problems. Just theres lots of bad reviews on there bigger tanks. As to the stand. I’m not putting a tank on particle board. Easy enough to build your own stand. Plenty of utube videos on how to do it. I have a 125 and I built the stand. Also my tank is acrylic. Not many bad reviews except scratches.
For filtration you’ll need enough to move 800- 1000 gph. I would use 2 filters. I’m using the fx6 canister that is rated at 975gph and a power head with 2 sponges that moves 350gph.

As to shrimp most fish will eat them. Angels will hunt them down. So it kind of hard to get a breeding colony going. I have a 15g shrimp tank with a strong colony. I have added my cull shrimp to my other tanks. With varying success. surprisingly they are do well in my discus tank. But it is planted with many places for the shrimp to hide.

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No experience with Petsmart tanks or any other US sold tanks for that matter, however in terms of leaking tanks there are two key factors, assuming glass thickness and build are fine. Safety factor of 2.8 - 3.8 depending on braces, frames etc.

1. Levelling the tank. Even the best build tank and stand are at risk if you don't carefully level it. Ideally it should be level both front to back and left to right, although a minor discrepancy on one of the two dimensions would normally be okay if there is a good safety factor. You must avoid a twisting tank as this will eventually almost certainly lead to leak or worse, an outright "explosion".
2. In order to avoid point 1. happening over time a high quality stand is key, whether it is bought or DIY.

In terms of adding extra silicone I don't think that will make any significant difference, just mainly silicone on silicone. For that to make any real difference you would have to take the tank apart and re-silicone it but then you can as well go DYI from the beginning, with the added advance of controlling the glass quality and safety factor yourself.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, thank you that is the one we were looking at.
We are thinking of peacock cichlids as the main group of fish. 4 or 5 of them.
A 120 or a 125 gal. Tank could support many more Aulonocara - Peacocks. I think I have six Peacocks, ten Haps, five Mbuna & five Botia Loaches in my 120.
I run two Aqua Clear 110's. Either aquarium would make a really good African Cichlid community.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have access to PetSmart, their Black Friday sale that usually extends through the weekend will more than likely have their aquarium ensembles on sale for 50% off.

This like make the 6ft long 125 gallon Aqeuon ensemble about $350.

The larger Top Fin tanks, I believe the 120g and 150g, are indeed made by Marineland/Perfecto.

The Top Fin starter kits though are manufactured in China though, and not in America like the 120/150g tanks are.

Usually silicone will not adhere well to an existing bead of silicone. I would not attempt to reapply a bead of it, over the existing silicone.

I would suggest with any tank, leave it outside over night while filled with water. This will ensure there are no inherent flaws.

As far as predicting which tank brand is better as far as leaks are concerned, an acrylic tank is probably more "leak proof" versus a glass tank.

If this is going to be a long term show tank and you will be in the house for many years, I suggest looking online for a company called "Custom Aquariums".

The YouTube channels "Steve Poland Aquatics", "Prime Time Aquatics" and "KGTropicals" have all done tours of the facility and posted the videos on their channel. The Custom Aquarium website even has a configurator tool, showing the options for panel size, thickness, and upgrades for tempered glass and low-iron glass.

Those YouTube channels are also good resources for info in stocking your tank, especially the cichlids.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I went ahead and just bought the Aqueon 125 with stand. We have lots of motorcycles in our garage so can't build a stand, and I couldn't locate anyone.
Maybe in the next year or so I will get lucky and we can find someone to build one at that time, or maybe have a shop we can do it at.

My next purchase will be to acquire a filter - Fluval FX6. Heaters seem to be all over the grid as far as reviews, so I'm just gonna get 2 200w Aqueon Pros since that is what I've used in the past.

Last edited:

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bet your stand is very similar to mine, black particle board.
As noted my stand has been holding up a 120 gal. for nearly five years, no problems. Your stand is likely painted with water resistant paint, but be sure to keep it dry. Make sure you level it out good.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awesome. We have hardwood floors and it is going to be against the back wall of our house, so I would assume that area is very supportive. We would like to place it on a thin mat or very thin rug though because we do have nice flooring.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ended up returning the 125 anyway lol. Spending an extra grand just to do it right. Got a 180gal with thicker glass, an extra 6 inches of room for fish to swim in the front portion of the tank, along with a solid wood stand. Also are purchasing a new sump for it all - which we found out wouldn't have fit in the 125's stand anyway.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Locally. It is an Aquarium Masters tank with two like half moon shaped overflows on each corner.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's awesome!

Some Severums, Geophagus, and Rainbowfish would make for a great looking set up.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We were just looking at the Geophagus! They are awesome!

We are so overwhelmed though to be honest. I have a Word document with a stocking idea list. Smh. And yet we still haven't committed 100% to anything certain! We really were interested in discus but found that they don't do much... so we either cut them out completely or would consider doing just one pair of them.

GBR's are the only species which have remained on the list.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There are a lot of different types of geophagus.....

Red Head Tapajos
Winemilleri
Altifrons

Many awesome looking tanks on YouTube featuring these species.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got a list together. Tell me what you think.

6 Discus
8 Red Head Geophagus
12 German Blue Ram
2 plecos - such as Rio Negro (4") or Gold Spotted (3")

In our sump we are going to do some cherry shrimp and moss.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sounds like a fantastic stocking for a 180g ! !

I've never kept discus, but I do know they like their water very clean. Are you looking at Jack Wattely, Hans, Discus Madness, or another discus vendor ?

Since you have a sump, may I suggest taking some time to research Dr. Novak and his biocenesis clarification baskets. There is a lot online and on YouTube about his BCB's and the subject of plenums, anoxic filtration and facultative anaerobic bacteria, which Noval talk a lot about. All with the goal of nitrate and phosphate reduction, which the discus will appreciate.

The geophagus will be great.

As far as the GBR's are concerned, there is only one person I would get them from, the forum's very own CoralBandit.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We have a local aquarium specific shop called Aquarium Paradise and he is going to source the discus for us, and probably all of our other fish, but we have in fact checked out Wattley. Just kinda far for shipping even overnight in my opinion, plus he wants $120 for just shipping. We are in Seattle.

I'd really like to add Cory's, but it seems it is 50/50 on whether the Geo's will be ok with them

I will watch some of Dr. Novak's videos, thanks for the suggestion on that! This is my first sump so I do need to do lots of research.

Top Bottom