Tank Problems Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by crystalclear, Mar 19, 2010.

1. c

crystalclear Valued Member Member

Hey everyone,

I've been out of the country for 6 months and left my tank in the care of my mother. The water parameters are fine, but the fish and tank aren't looking too great. I have 3 blue tetras and a green corey cat. Yesterday night, the tetras were having trouble staying afloat and hovering towards the bottom, although they are usually very fast and swim in the middle. I fed them peas today and they're swimming around much better, but still not 100%. One of their bellies is pretty swollen, but the other two look fine. Also, the snail population is out of control.

Any ideas/suggestions? I want to save these fish!!

Thank you for all of your help.

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Crystal,

Sorry you're going through this problem. I don't know any suggestions I can give so wait for more response from the others. About the snails, what snails do you have in your tank(s)? If you want to get rid of them, you can place some lettuce in the tank for the night, then you should be able to see them and take out what you see the next day. Hope my info helped.

Best of luck with everything. Hope things get better soon! :;group

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Since your water parameters are fine (I'm assuming that means 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and less than 20-30 nitrates) no water changes should be necessary.

I would probably fast the fish for a day, then feed peas again. Then just be careful not to overfeed going forward.

As far as snails go, you could bait them with a peice of lettuce left in the tank at night. In the morning the lettace should be cover with snails and you can pull them out. Yeah I know...ick!

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome back home!
    what test kit are you using and what are the lot#s on the bottles (if its an api)
    how often was mom doing water changes ?
    it also sounds like it could be a case of "they always seem hungry so feed more" and the peas and fasting as john recommended wont hurt anything....hope they perk up!

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'll bet all the problems you have with your tank are a result of overfeeding. I think the best thing you can do is limit feeding to once a day and do a few water changes a week.

6. OP
    OP
    c

Hey all,

Thanks for your responses. I've told my Mom to do the lettuce trick before, but it didn't do much to the population. I'll try it for a few days to see how that works. Is there a certain kind of lettuce that works better? Also, could I use fresh spinach? My mom was doing water changed every 3 weeks or so, but sometimes she let it go for longer. I also don't think she changed the filter more than once (which shouldn't be that bad, right? You only need to change it every couple of months, right?) I told her to feed them flakes once a day and blood worms as a second meal once every couple of days, so I don't think it was overfeeding. The snails are pond snails and some have twisty shells (I have no idea what they're called). None of them are more than a couple of centimeters big.

Thanks for the ideas about fasting. I already fed them peas once. Should I wait until tomorrow at the same time? Also, how long should I do it?

I'm going from the last water test she did a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a kit, so I bring it to the LFS and they use API drops I believe. I'll go again as soon as I can, as our water tends to have a high PH.

7. Jaysee

The lettuce trick only works if the snails are hungry, and if they are taking over the tank, they are well fed....

8. OP
    OP
    c

Is there a certain reason why the snails would be taking over? Does it show anything?

9. Jaysee

consistant overfeeding

10. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You should really only change your filter media when it is absolutly falling apart. Normally you should just swish it around in some used tank water with every water change. Since most of the benificial bacteria lives in the filter media, replacing it will put you into a mini cycle.

11. OP
    OP
    c

Update: I put them on a pea diet for 2 days and fasted them. One of the neons is bloated again, but the other two neons look great. My cory cat is going a little crazy, swimming up and down along the front of the glass. What could that mean?

I took the water to the store: Ammonia and Nitrite 0, PH 7. My temp is around 78.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice