Tank prices worldwide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aylad, Jan 2, 2013.

1. aylad

ayladWell Known MemberMember

Today I've run across a couple of references to tank prices in the UK and how high they are. This link was posted on one thread as an example of inflated prices, but I have to say: that's a pretty huge price tag here in the U.S. as well. You won't catch me putting out that kind of money on a 50gal any time soon! Even allowing for the included hood and filtration, that price tag seems more appropriate for a 75gal with filter, hood, and STAND. At least to my way of thinking.

On the other hand, doing a search for tanks on Walmart.com or Petsmart.com turns up a lot of these overly pricey tanks, as I noted in my https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-tank-equipment/128666-clear-life-tanks.html thread, so I'm not sure that everyone really knows what a "reasonable" going rate for a tank actually is.

So: speaking mostly about NEW tanks (because used tanks can range from free to freakin' expensive), with or without equipment, what prices can we "reasonably" expect internationally? In the U.S., a patient fishkeeper will often wait for a PetCo sale to pick up a 10, 20, 29, 40, or 55gal at $1/gal. What about overseas?

2. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

That's insane!

3. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

:jawdrop:

oh I'm proud to be an American! XD

4. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

at the lfs here there is a 90 gallon, comes with everything and i mean everything (stand, hood, lights, gravel, canister filter, background, and i am pritty sure it has some water conditioners too, all this excluding fish) for around 700$. oh, and did i mention that when you buy the tank you get 50$ of free fish.

tigress- proud to be american, come to canada, lol. jk... or am i, lol.

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Question for the Americans....

These $1/G sales - are they for tank only, tank/stand/canopy. Is it just a glass aquarium with no trimmings? How thick is the glass, is it tempered?

For a glass box, plain aquarium, I think they're reasonably cheap here, around $2-3 AUD a gallon, depending on type, size and thickness of the glass used. If you shop carefully, you can normally find clearance sales.

Kits are always going to be more expensive, and name brand tanks (e.g. Rimless CADE, Eheim/mP) etc will always command a higher ticket.

6. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

The $1 sale tanks are just empty tank with nothing else added :) no stands/kits/hoods just a tank...

7. ryanr

And what do they normally sell for?
    Is it normally 2/3/4 dollars a gallon?

8. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfishValued MemberMember

When do they have these sales cause I'm looking for a larger tank and do not need all the other stuff just the tank, needing to up grade.

9. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Here is the fish tank that I got for the $1 per gallon sale

uploadfromtaptalk1357186022002.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357186038681.jpg

I use it as my QT. Normally this 10g would cost 13-14 dollars. The bigger the tank the more it gets. 20g usually goes for $35 to 40 for just the tank.

10. ryanr

So between $1.50 and $2.00 per gallon is about normal rate? We're not that far off your prices then ;)

11. OP
    OP
    aylad

ayladWell Known MemberMember

The 55 I got would normally be $115-$120, so $2 per gallon... more or less.

12. grfresconero

grfresconeroValued MemberMember

Well lucky you all , in the third world countries such as mine its 1 euro per liter. Are`nt we sucker`s,that`s why we have to Mcquiver as Mrs Price said once.Above for new equip only after that second/hand we barter for a better price. Wage 500 eu...per month

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice