Tank placing question ?? 30 Gallon Tank 

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everybody,

i am not sure if this post can go in this section of the forum, if not then mods pls move it appropriately.

So i got a 30 gallon tank and now i am thinking where to place it in my house ??? i do not have a stand for it.. and space is not an issue but i have this fireplace and there is a huge space above the fireplace.. and that would be one idle place to put the tank .. but i am concerned about the weight exerted by the tank.

What would be the approximate weight exerted by the tank ?

I am thinking :

30 gallon tank would be :

30 lb of gravel
20 lb of decor
1 gallon of water is 10 lb so 300 lb of water weight

so i am looking at around 350lb of weight roughly?

Has anbody placed a tank over the fireplace ... pls advice.

Thanks for reading.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would be worried about the amount of heat from the fireplace. Unless that's not an issue? Because we don't have fireplaces from where I am. What fish you planning to have in your 30 gal? I heard fish add a bit of weight too depending how many or how big.

Best of luck though. Hope to see some photos soon.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Actually i am not using that fireplace, the fireplace is closed so there will never be any fire in it.

I am planning to get freshwater sharks (those small 4") they look very beautiful.

Borisbbadd

I would probably use a stand, that way you could hide all the electric cords and tubing.

I would also be a little concerned about the weight.

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It is hard to say because I don't know what your fireplace looks like and how it's made. But I went through this same thing I do not have a aquarium stand I use an old government office desk.(They could hold a truck) and it is on the 2nd floor of my house. Mine is a 31 Gallon and I would say it weighs close to 400 pounds. If you can post a pic of your fireplace.

Thanks and good luck!!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the problem is that if it was to give out, huge mess. It really depends on how the shelf above the fireplace is built, but I wouldn't risk it personally, just save up for a bit and get a proper stand and place it in front of the fireplace

edit* just thought about something else, consider maintenance, and over the fireplace, depending on how high and where it is at exactly, is probably not the best place to watch your fish.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fishtanker said:
30 gallon tank would be :

30 lb of gravel
20 lb of decor
1 gallon of water is 10 lb so 300 lb of water weight

so i am looking at around 350lb of weight roughly?

Has anbody placed a tank over the fireplace ... pls advice.

Thanks for reading.
Although it's better to overestimate the weight of the tank than underestimate, I just wanted to clear up a couple things. Although the gravel and decorations are heavier than water, they're also displacing the water so they're total attribution to the total weight of the tank would be less than expected. Also, water weighs closer to 8.5 pounds per gallon. Having said that, I would NOT trust palcing a tank of that size on there. I don't believe they're really designed to support that much weight. That along with the other reasons that have been mentioned, it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Since this is a brand new tank (I'm assuming) why don't you find a temporary space to keep the tank while you cycle it. Don't fill it with substrate or decorations. Just water and filter and run a fishless cycle to start building bacteria in the filter media. While you're waiting for the tank to cycle, you can take that time to build your own stand. That way you'll know for sure that it'll hold the weight of the tank and you can design it for your needs. Just my :

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
funkman262 said:
Although it's better to overestimate the weight of the tank than underestimate, I just wanted to clear up a couple things. Although the gravel and decorations are heavier than water, they're also displacing the water so they're total attribution to the total weight of the tank would be less than expected. Also, water weighs closer to 8.5 pounds per gallon. Having said that, I would NOT trust palcing a tank of that size on there. I don't believe they're really designed to support that much weight. That along with the other reasons that have been mentioned, it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Since this is a brand new tank (I'm assuming) why don't you find a temporary space to keep the tank while you cycle it. Don't fill it with substrate or decorations. Just water and filter and run a fishless cycle to start building bacteria in the filter media. While you're waiting for the tank to cycle, you can take that time to build your own stand. That way you'll know for sure that it'll hold the weight of the tank and you can design it for your needs. Just my :
well i though about the maintenance part and looks like it would be more cumbersome if i keep it over the fireplace. Moreover my fireplace has a special space on top of it which is intended for a television or something so its pretty strong but again looking at around 400lb of weight.. hmmm that sounds scary.

Moreover this tank is not new, herez the story behind it.

i went to my friends place and i found this tank discarded near the trash so i brought it home. The tank had a filter and it already has filter media in it. The filter media is still wet so i am guess the tank was not lying there for long time.

i washed the tank but not the media and filter, i have filled the tank and have conditioned the water. i am planning to add some ammonia to the tank and use the same filter as is.. will this trigger my cycle ?

i think the filter still has bacteria in it.

pls advice.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Given the way that you found the tank & filter it would be wise to sterilise both items before use. Throw away the filter media altogether. You never know what nasties have been in there. Filter media will stay wet for many months so that isn't a guide to whether the tank is/was cycled or not. It would also pay to find somewhere flat for the tank to sit for a few days. Cover the flat area with newspaper, place the tank on the newspaper & then fill it. Leave it for several days & watch for damp patches developing on the newspaper. It would also pay to hook the filter up & make sure that it functions at all. People don't often throw away tanks & filters that are still in good condition so I would be very suspicious of the reasons why the tank & filter have been discarded in the first place.

As for a stand there are a number of cheap ways to support a tank but I wouldn't be relying on any fireplace. There are a number of threads on DIY tank stands if you use the search feature. You should be able to find plenty of ideas in the search results or you could just be a little patient & save up or a stand. Plain timber stands can be found pretty cheap on Craigslist or in classifieds newspapers.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I checked the filters and they work fine.

When I checked the tank there was little water in the tank and when I watched closely there where 2 frys alive. I saved them and one shell snail.

Well they are alive and I have saved them.

Moreover the tank was full of algae so I scrubbed the walls of the tank and filled it.

I think the filter is good, I planning to place the filter in the newly filled tank and I will add some ammonia.

What say??

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Poor little guys wonder how long they were sitting there

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know, I have kept them in a separate container with conditioned water and the frys also ate some fish food which I added to it, now they are swimming happily.

My 10 gallon is still not cycled.

I am using the existing filter media and I have added some pure ammonia to the tank. Let's see if the bacteria works.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fishtanker said:
I checked the filters and they work fine.

When I checked the tank there was little water in the tank and when I watched closely there where 2 frys alive. I saved them and one shell snail.

Well they are alive and I have saved them.

Moreover the tank was full of algae so I scrubbed the walls of the tank and filled it.

I think the filter is good, I planning to place the filter in the newly filled tank and I will add some ammonia.

What say??
Where are you keeping the fry? I'm assuming you're adding ammonia to do a fishless cycle. If so, you can't keep the fry in that tank because the ammonia will quickly kill them.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
funkman262 said:
Where are you keeping the fry? I'm assuming you're adding ammonia to do a fishless cycle. If so, you can't keep the fry in that tank because the ammonia will quickly kill them.
I am keeping the frys in a separate container which contains conditioned water only, but the problem is there is no heat. The water might get little cold.

Update on the tank :

I installed the filter with the existing filter which was in it and have added some ammonia to the tank. But the filter smells awful, what could be the reason for that ? The tank had a lot of algae when i was cleaning it.. the filter pipe still has algae.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So the frys are doing good and I placed them in a glass bowl but one strange thing I observed. When I switch on the light, the frys get very aggresive when they see their reflection on the walls and try to chase it. But when I switch off the light, they are calm.

Can this happen??

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads