Tank placement and direct sunlight Question

1. Gunzer Initiate Member

Merry Christmas everyone!

I intend to acquire a completely new setup in the 30 to 50gal range. Where I want to place the tank however does get direct sunlight for a couple hours in the morning only. How much of a problem would this create for me?

I like the idea of gowing with live plants to compete with any potential green algae but am I fooling myself with this idea? I understand this tank location would be a less than ideal. Will I come to regret this location or can this be managed?

Thank you,

Gunzer

2. Gunzer Initiate Member

I just realized I posted this thread in the wrong section, sorry mods. Kindly move me to lighting.

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

It would be preferably to either choose a different location or perhaps put up blinds or something to cover the window? that the sunlight is coming through. I've never done it myself & I always make sure my tanks are well shielded from direct sunlight but I have several friends with tanks that are in direct sunlight. For the most part they do ok but they do have problems pretty quickly if they ignore maintainance or accidently OD thier nutrients. The other option would be to have the tank covered with a thick blanket or something during the time the sun will be on it & then have your lights come on after the sun has moved away.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Gunzer and Welcome to Fish Lore. Great advice above. :animal0068:I have moved your thread per your request to the "lighting" section of the forum.
    Ken

5. potatos Member Member

Tanks in dirct sunlight can be prone to algae. You could possibly buy a tank backing that is thick and cover the back or side that the light shines trough

6. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I think live plants would help combat algae, and you'd be able to have high-light plants with an outside source of light like that.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

another thing to consider is that with direct light, the tank may really heat up during those hours.