Tank pest?

1. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

Yesterday as I was scoping out my tank and getting ready to give the fish their dinner, I noticed several small black bugs around the back rim. I squashed as many as I could, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what these are and if there is a fish-safe (and invert-safe) way to get rid of them.

Eta: photo. They are the little black specks there. They have tiny little antennae and appear to have wings. They are little little...

Attached Files:

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

gnats?

3. B

BlueDiamond New Member Member

Be careful what is flying around your tank. Some insects can't be digested, and could cause a blockage in the digestive system starving your fish to death. Had it happen to a King Kamfa Flowerhorn.

4. scarlett4410

scarlett4410 Valued Member Member

Occasionally i get flys in my aquarium but i take those out , it could be those? I always get little white bugs which i think are coepods , my puffers eat them so i don't worry much.

5. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Are they inside or outside the tank?

I'm having problems with bugs in my tank, so tomorrow I plan to drain the tank and let it dry out for a couple hours. The fish should be ok in buckets, if you choose to do that.

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

7. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

They are outside on the rim, but I also noticed them on the glass inside just above the waterline. Grr. I'll check out the link Ryan. Thanks for weighing in guys. Will let you all know what's up again in a few days