Tank overheating.....help?

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Okay so I need some help. This is about my 125 gallon I noticed many fish have died and I am now in a mini cycle (completely unrelated :;soldier) but I have been noticing for the past couple months that my tank has been in the 80s. I have two heaters due to the fact that when I set it up originally I couldn't keep it warm enough.

This actually started happening more recently.

I started noticing it after I added an air pump to the tank. I have the air pump directly under one heater, so the bubbles come up around the heater.

I have been turning both heaters down waiting a week or two and checking again. Nothing will change. I now have both of them all the way down and my tank is still 84 degrees.

I thought about it today and the one seems like its never one (it has a light to let you know when its on) so I think it kicked off since the water is over what I have it set at. But then the other heater which has the bubbles coming around it was still warm to touch. So that one is still heating the water. I have it turned all the way down but its still heating it.

So I thought today....the air pump could be causing the heater to think the water is actually as cold as the air coming around it. The air in the room the tank is in is quite cold. (Its the basement) so then its pushing the cold air through and so I would think that could be why?

What do you think? I plan on moving it to help but I am worried maybe the heater itself could be bad? I really want to know what you think so it stops stressing my fish.

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like its probably the air pump. Try moving it for for a few days and see if the temperature drops.

3. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

You could also try unplugging that heater and leaving the other one on. Maybe something's gone haywire with the heater by the air bubbles. If your tank is as warm as you say, and both heaters are turned all the way down, it would be strange to has a temperature gradient that large... Which is why I suspect the heater.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think the air bubbles would cause too much of a temp increase. What brand of heaters are you using, what are they set at? I've had a couple heater in smaller tanks that I've had at 70 but they'd heat to 80.

The air bubbles should be helping to circulate the heat better, keeping it more even.

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

The one I am worried about is older and I have no idea the brand I know its not sold at most pet stores anymore as I've never seen it. The other is a theo or something I have many of them and love them all so its not that one. I'm going to try moving it first. I know originally I had an issue keeping it warm enough which is why I put the older heater on. I mean worst come to worse I can replace the older heater I mean it has to be 10-15 years old. I just would like to save that money if possible.

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

In a tank your size, I would be using 2 heater to keep the heat even. If you do decide to get a new heater, I'd recommend trying an Aqueon Pro. Heaters are pricey! hope you can get this figured out.

7. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

I have my air bubbles going up on my heater ( my basement is 60 degrees) and it seems to be fine

8. ploopy Member Member

Try putting your heater close to your intake for your filter.I have 3 hob on my 125 and had my air stone under the heater and it rose my temp up 4 degress.I moved both heaters close to the intakes and it dropped back down.

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, I think its the air bubbles messing with its brain, either that or its brain kicked.

I would move the air stone if possible. Personally I use a power head near my heaters to help circulate the water and temp better.

10. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

What is the wattage of each heater?