Tank of males platys? Would there be aggression issues?

Willowfish

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone has had any past experiences with keeping all male platys. I currently have two, and one has become quite a bully to the other. I was thinking that it would solve a lot of problems if I got a couple more, and maybe rearranged the tank. If I had four males in a tank together, (one already confirmed to be aggressive) would there be issues? I do not really want to rehome any of my current platys, unless it comes down to it. Somebody on the forum suggested removing the bully, and buying three females. I am aware that if I continued on with this idea, there would be offspring.... and I'm thinking everything would be a lot less complicated without that. Would four male platies in a tank together be a problem? I also should add, I also have a betta, and this is a ten gallon. The betta is fairly peaceful, with the occasional flare at the bully platy if he gets to close to the betta's stone. I am wondering if any more platies might aggravate the betta, or maybe would that be overstocking? Thank you in advance for all your help and advice.
-Willowfish

Kribensis27

How big is the tank? The males most likely won’t fight unless there are females present. More would be better because it means that the bully won’t target just one fish. The aggression gets spread out between all of the fish so that just one won’t have to take it all. Only get more if you have a 20 gallon or larger. Platies have a large bioload, so it’s easy to overstock with them.

Betta'sAnonymous

I think this is how MTS starts!

Anymore in there would probably be overstocking. Having the betta is another wildcard factor. Might get extra territorial towards any new fish

Willowfish

Kribensis27 said:
How big is the tank? The males most likely won’t fight unless there are females present. More would be better because it means that the bully won’t target just one fish. The aggression gets spread out between all of the fish so that just one won’t have to take it all. Only get more if you have a 20 gallon or larger. Platies have a large bioload, so it’s easy to overstock with them.
I have a Ten gallon tank.... a bit small to begin with

Aggressive Platy | Platy Forum | 477505
Here is my previous thread on the same topic, I am a bit confused as to how to solve this issue with aggressive platies, and worried that the bioload will become to much. The last thing I want is to aggravate my betta

Kribensis27

I remember that thread! If you don’t want to upgrade tank size to a 20g, I think your only reasonable options would be to rehome the bully, rehome the peaceful one, or rehome both of them in favor of smaller fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom