Tank odor?

1. Fish'd Member Member

Tank odor- help?

[I moved my newest post up here because it is more relevant and better in general than the first.]

I put some fish food into a little pantyhose sack. When the part the fish food is in is balled up, it's about the size of a small bouncy ball you'd get out of a vending machine (sorry, I don't know how else to describe it). It's hanging over the side of my tank and it's being used as an ammonia source for cycling.

I think I put too much, because my room smells horrible. You can also smell it when you walk into my house (which is a trailer, so it's easy to smell anything in the house). I'm wondering if it's the ammonia, and what I can do to get the odor to go away. My dad just said something about the house smells sour, and I'm afraid I'm going to get in trouble if I don't get rid of the smell. D:

What is it that's making my tank smell this way, and how do I get rid of the stench? Thank in advance!

ETA: And real quick- when I rub my finger on the inside of the tank, it feels dusty. Does that mean anything?

2. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

I am guessing you are in the process of cycling the tank.

is there carbon in the filter? also when you rinsed the filter did you rinse it in old tank water?

3. Fish'd Member Member

Yes, I'm cycling. I'm about 3-4 days in.

I took out the actual blue filter thing and the white flossy bio stuff. I just set it to the side; I was afraid if I dropped it in my tank water, it would push sand in the filter. I washed the black box, the intake tube, and the impeller with tap, and then refilled it with tap as well.

4. Fish'd Member Member

Tank smell?

I put some fish food into a little pantyhose sack. When the part the fish food is in is balled up, it's about the size of a small bouncy ball you'd get out of a vending machine (sorry, I don't know how else to describe it). It's hanging over the side of my tank and it's being used as an ammonia source for cycling.

I think I put too much, because my room smells horrible. You can also smell it when you walk into my house (which is a trailer, so it's easy to smell anything in the house). I'm wondering if it's the ammonia, and what I can do to get the odor to go away. My dad just said something about the house smells sour, and I'm afraid I'm going to get in trouble if I don't get rid of the smell. D:

What is it that's making my tank smell this way, and how do I get rid of the stench? Thank in advance!

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I merged you threads. It's only necessary to have one thread for a question.
    I don't know what's causing the smell. It could be the rotting food, like you said or ammonia.
    From what I've read, when cycling with fish food you're only supposed to add a pinch a day.
    ;) Sometimes more is not better.

6. Fish'd Member Member

I'm sorry; I just figured I'd move the thread into a better forum. Won't happen again. D:

Someone suggested the pantyhose idea, and said they do it because that way rotting food isn't molding on the bottom. Should I take it out and restart?

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

No problem, I understand your frustration.
    Maybe it worked for the person who suggested it. It doesn't seem to be good for you.
    It's true, cycling with food is super messy. I kept a cycle going with fish food and won't do it again. By the time I was ready to add fish, ewwww. lol. I had to tear the tank down and rinse everything. There was no way I was getting all the food out.
    I was obviously adding too much.

I guess if I were you, I'd take it out and add a small pinch per day.
    That way you wouldn't have as much decomposing at once.
    Let' see if other members have any other ideas.

8. Fish'd Member Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I think someone mentioned that and said you had to start the cycling process over on that one, too.

I would have to feed it throughout the cycle too, huh? That could get messy, like you said... I might find some pure ammonia. But we'll see what other members say. :D

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Lucy, Ken, Hitchhiker, and I all recommended the mesh bag/pantyhose thing. I just think that none of us were able to forsee that rather than a pinch or two, a ball-sized amount of food was going to be used. lol...

Fish'd, I'm going to say take Lucy's cue on this and start over. ;D

10. callichma Well Known Member Member

Pure ammonia can be hard to find. I read on this forum that you can find it at Ace hardware stores. Good luck with your cycling (and with the smell). It seems to me that you could put some activated carbon in your filter to help with the smell. That shouldn't interfere with your cycle. The smell might be more than the activated charcoal can handle, though.

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Luckily, I didn't lose the cycle and have to start over, my tank was already fully cycled, I was just trying to keep it that way. lol
    I must say, I had a healthy bed of bacteria with all that ammonia. lol

I think it was mentioned to put shrimp in the panty hose.
    Also, I'm not saying to start all over. Just remove the panty hose and start adding a pinch of food instead.

12. Fish'd Member Member

@Meenu: lol, I didn't know how much to put in; I probably should have asked. Lesson learned. xD
    I'll remove the bag and add a pinch tomorrow or see if I can find ammonia.
    I'll tell you what though; it's working for all of that smell that's coming out, lol

@callichma: I don't think there's an Aces around here. I might just check Lowes, though. I hate living in such a small town. D:

@Lucy: That's good then. That'd been horrible if you had to wait all of that time again. :\

I think this is the text I made my decision on. I should have asked how much, though. :3

Thanks, all of you! I really appreciate the help. :;hug2

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hang in there!

14. Fish'd Member Member

I will. <3

Just wanted to let you know, I removed the food baggy. That is definitely where the smell is coming from. D|

15. Neji Member Member

Fish'd have you tried putting in activated charcoal into your filter canister? and one or two into the tank? I do that sometimes to get the charcoal to absorb the cloudiness of the water, and to get rid of the smell. It usually does get rid of the smell in my tank after a day or two.

Also, I have these odor absorbers that I bought from my local store and there are one for pet odors, and smoke odors. So that helps get rid of the really bad smell from my fish tank. It happened to me before, and I also have big windows :) thank god I had large windows installed when the home was being renovated :) BIG windows means LOTS of light that comes into my home :)

Hope this helps

Neji

16. Fish'd Member Member

I don't have enough money for it. What I do have is going towards an API Master Kit. Though, I will keep that in mind. :3

That's neat! I don't think we have those here, though. If it's not sold at Wal-mart, I probably don't have access to it.

Thanks. :]

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

They probably have pet odor absorbers at walmart. Although I think it is better to fix the source of the odor instead of absorbing it or masking it.

Fish'd, if you can get your hands on one raw shrimp, from a neighbor or restaurant, it'll make your life easier. I know you don't want to buy the whole pack (I'm vegetarian, so I wouldn't either). I've never tried to find ammonia, but on here, many people say it is hard to find. Make sure what you use doesn't contain Sufracant or any other soap product.

Here are thoughts I have on the fish food method, to keep it from makaing a mess:
    maybe you could stick a net (the kind used for catching fish) in the water, and drop your daily pinch in there. It'll be easier to clean up by just pulling the net out of the water?
    Or maybe, if the food starts getting moldy after a few days, you could use a turkey baster (new, never seen soap) to suck out the moldy food and discard it.
    Wait and see if Lucy or anyone else sees a problem with either of these things, as I am just brainstorming indeas and have no tried them. :)