Tank not clearing up

Hadedc
Afternoon All! Below is what my tank has looked like for over a year. I have not seen any ammonia spike, or ammonia at all in the past year and since no ammonia there has not been any nitrites/nitrates which I need for my tank. I used to do 50% water changes weekly but found out that's too much so I do 20% weekly and I use Seachem Prime for my water conditioner when I do my weekly water changes. I have been trying to add beneficial bacteria to my tank for weeks but that still is not working, and my tank is still not cycling. I have had 5 fish in there for a long time, and with the extra food/waste I though the cycle would begin since that's ammonia but that is still not working. I desperately need help! Please if you think I'm doing something wrong or have questions please ask because I want my tank to cycle, and finally be clear?

CasperW
It looks like too much algae which is normally with too much waste or lighting . Is it near a window or lots of sunlight ?

Broggy
its nearly impossible to get rid of green water at this scale just by water changes. if there are no live plants you can use chemicals. a safer way is an aquarium uv sterilizer, or black out the tank by putting a large blanket over the tank for a week. changing less water gave the green water an opportunity im guessing.

StarGirl
Too much light is a good start.

Why was 50% water change too much? You went all the way down to 20? You probably have tons of organics going on in there.

Donthemon
Are the 5 fish still alive? What filter do you have? How often and how do you clean it? What is the water ph?

mrsP
This is the best algae guide by professional aquascapers:

Only way I could get rid of green water in my tank was good UV light.

Latest threads

Top Bottom