Tank moving Question

1. ghardin Member Member

Ok right now i have a 5 gallon tank which i bought when i had 2 glofish because that was what the man said i needed for only two. Now im not stupid, after some research, i relized i needed a MINIMUM of 4 fish but they thrive with 6. I understand that i cannot put 4-5 fish in a five gallon tank, especially with glofish being so active. Heres the question, I hate waiting... like a lot, so waiting for my little 5 gallon to cycle seemed to take a lifetime and i cant imagine how long it would take a bigger one; so would i have to cycle the new tank if i just dumped all the gravel and water into it and used the same filter? Thanks:;hi1

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You would most likely lose some of the cycle and possibly hit a mini cycle.

As for the time to cycle a tank it actually takes about 4-6 weeks kinda no matter how you look at it, at least fish in does. If you use TSS it takes about 10-14 Days. Big or small if you are doing fish in its about the same regardless of tank size at least in my experience anyways.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

As you probably know now, a 5 gallon is too small for even two glofish. You really need a 20 gallon (long not high) minimum.

I seriously doubt that the filter you have in the 5 would be anywhere big enough for a 20 gallon tank. And since you are only about a week into cycling, you probably have no real bacteria at this point, so while you could put your old gravel in the new tank, and maybe even manage to put your old filter media into the new filter, it really wouldn't do you much good.

It sounds to me, that cycling with Tetra SafeStart would be the best option for you. With SafeStart you could just set up the new tank with water dechlorinated with a non detoxing dechlorinator (I think your AquaSafe would fit the bill nicely), add the fish and dump in the bottle of Safestart. Then do nothing but feed you fish for the next 14 days. On day 14 test your water and you should be cycled.

One other thing. In your Aquarium Info it states that your ammonia is at 2.5ppm. This is way too high for your fish and is most likely causing damage. If it doesn't kill them, it will definitly shorten their lives. (I speak from personal experiance). You really need to be doing some partial water changes to get that ammonia level down. It would be preferable to use Prime (or another ammonia detoxing water conditioner) to keep your fish safe from exposure.

When keeping fish, it is very important to be patient. I'm not the most patient person by nature myself, so I know it's difficult, but it really is a skill that needs to be worked on it you are going to be a fishkeeper.

Good luck!