Tank Mesh Cover Lid

1. JoKeStA

JoKeStA Initiate Member

Hello Fishlore Family, I recently was looking for a lid something that wouldn't take lighting away from my tank. Glass lids get build up and light does not beam through glass that well as it is. Acrylic does not hold up that well over time warps and gets scratches easily and over time light will get worse and worse. So after asking and searching around I came across mesh top! I can't say if it will hold up 100% because first time using but 100% better on lighting! When I remove a panel and put it back I can not tell any light difference, perfect! So just wanted to share what I did and how much I spent. I bought a 6'x4' 1/4 mesh screen on Amazon for about 12 bucks then went to hardware store (lowes) and got screen frame 7' aluminum pieces these were 4 bucks each for my 135 gallon I need 3 of them also 5 packs of plastic corner screen connectors these were 2 bucks each also needed a pack of rubber seal to pinch the screen in the grove of the frame and hold and keep the screen tight. you will need the screening tool roller thing if you don't have one I think they was 4 or 5 bucks and a small hacksaw to cut the aluminum frame I think I seen hacksaws for 5-7 bucks. All together i spent about 38 - 40 bucks on 3 tank lids 22 1/2 by 16 1/2. Pretty easy but when going around for your plumbing it's a pain! But for you diy guys and gals out there you got to try it looks great.

20180512_200040.jpg 20180512_200317.jpg 20180512_234137.jpg 20180512_234222.jpg

2. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Nice thread. :) Great job on the mesh top.

Now... show us what's in the tank. :p

3. HarryPotter

HarryPotter Member Member

I like the lid, but would definitely suggest hanging the lights instead of all that PVC. Easier and MUCH less distracting from the display.

4. OP
    OP
    JoKeStA

JoKeStA Initiate Member

Yeah I agree but when we remodeled the dining room wife don't want holes in the tiles hehe. Also the pvc I like better with these lids since they are very light it will secure them from popping off if something jumps

5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

You can always paint the pvc Black.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted