tank mates

metal_man666

Reaction score
I have 3 tiger barbs and a red tail shark in a 17 gal. idk if I'm going to add nething new but suggestions?? I was thinking about a clown loach but they get way to big. I also thought about a bala but they can get big 2 and I don't want to over stock. any suggestions on tank mates for them?

p.s. my red tail is probably the most gentle fish ive ever had surprisingly it doesn't bother the other fish they seem to co-exist quite nicely. I had a guppy in there hehe (my bad, gave it to my brother shortly after) 1 tiger barb bugged the **** out of it so now I'm back 2 spuare 1 ne ideas?

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
The rule of thumb is 1 gallon of water per 1 inch of adult-sized fish. Tiger barbs have an adult size of 3 inches, so you're at 9 with them. Red tail sharks have an adult size of 6 inches. That puts you at 15 inches in a 17 gallon tank. If your fish aren't currently adult-sized, and you plan on a bigger tank in the future, I'd suggest a couple more tiger barbs. They are schooling fish, so they'd like a couple more buddies. Also, just as a sidenote, it's recommended that clown loaches have at least a 55 gallon tank, so you were right to say no to that. Bala sharks can get up to 13 inches, so you definitely don't want one of those in that tank.

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
I think that a green tiger barb would be fine with your regular ones. My tetras of similar shapes and sizes school together, and I used to have a tiger barb and rosy barb who were best buds.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
metal_man666 said:
I have 3 tiger barbs and a red tail shark in a 17 gal. idk if I'm going to add nething new but suggestions?? I was thinking about a clown loach but they get way to big. I also thought about a bala but they can get big 2 and I don't want to over stock. any suggestions on tank mates for them?

p.s. my  red tail is probably the most gentle fish ive ever had surprisingly it doesn't bother the other fish they seem to co-exist quite nicely. I had a guppy in there hehe (my bad, gave it to my brother shortly after) 1 tiger barb bugged the **** out of it so now I'm back 2 spuare 1 ne ideas?
Red-tailed sharks need at least a 29 gallon aquarium and I too, think you should add more tiger barbs. They tend to be aggressive with their tank mates if they're not in a school.

OP
M

metal_man666

Reaction score
yea I was thinkin about adding different types of barbs like the green or rosy cause when I origainally bought them I had a small tank. so next time I'm at the storeI might buy 1 or 2 green tiger barbs. right now I'm alittle concerned about adding more fish because they all seem to get along I mean they actually swim around together. they don't chase each other! I guess its cause when I got them they were the smallest in their tanks so they must have been very cowardly. can a dwarf gouramI go with them?

thanks for the help I heard balas get only 6 inches! idk where they got that from...

OP
M

metal_man666

Reaction score
I'm probably gunna get a 40-55 gallon tank this november

FishPirateL337

Reaction score
Tiger Barbs are great, get more. Albinos or Greenies will and flavor, and flavor taste good.
My Barb tank consist of only Tigers, and looks amazing all day long. Tigers are very active and moody and
truly need a skool of at least 5 to behave themselves. They are the worse nippers I have ever encountered.

New Threads