tank mates 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by dezdude, Apr 3, 2010.

1. d

dezdude Valued Member Member

I want to get a good combo of fish in my tank. I currently have 2 cardinals a ram, and 3 loaches. I would like to get 2 young angels and some more cardinals. Would this combo work?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what size tank ?

3. OP
    OP
    d

i have a 20g

4. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

20g long or tall? What kind of loaches?

5. OP
    OP
    d

nvm, not loaches, they are cory cats haha my bad. It is tall.

6. Prince Powder

LOL, big difference there! ;)

I believe a 20g is the minimum for a pair of angels, but only if they are the only fish. Since you've got more of a community type set up I would do only one angel as a centerpiece. Then you can increase numbers for both your cardinals and corys. But add your angel last since it will be your most aggressive and territorial fish. He'll be more likely to tolerate sharing swim space if the others are added first and before he tries to establish his territory.

7. OP
    OP
    d

that sounds great. I was only really considering putting one in anyways. I used to have 5 cardinals, and 3 rams, but thanks to a bad fish store, all but 3 died. all other fish i have ever bought from different stores have thrived to full adult size. so with 5 cardinals, 4-5 cory cats, a ram, and an angel i should be fine...until the angel gets too big, then i should return to store right?

8. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I am interested in seeing what others say....
    I have a 30 X-Tall (same footprint as the 20 Tall) with Neons, Cories and 1 Angel. I thought people said 30 tall would be a minimum, but after I got it "Aqadvisor" told me I would need a bigger tank and a few others seemed to have an opinion of the same as well. Maybe 30 Regular Tall...
    How set are you on an Angelfish? There are a few smaller Gourami's that aren't suseptible to DG Disease. Maybe one of those? I can only think of Honey right now but I am sure there are others.

Edit: Missed your post.
    Maybe by then you can upgrade.... or MTS!

9. Prince Powder

Well I can see it's past my bedtime! I completely missed that you had a ram! All I saw was the corys and cardinals. Now that I see this I would just up the number of cardinals and corys. The ram would serve fine as your centerpiece fish. Plus it is never a good idea to get a fish with the intention of returning it when it outgrows your tank. Better to hold off on the fish until you can get a suitable sized tank for it.

10. OP
    OP
    d

alright, so just some more corries and cardinals. would it be alright to maybe add some more rams then? like one or two? since rams can hide from time to time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice