Tank Mates Question

1. Nightshadethebetta

Nightshadethebetta Valued Member Member

I currently have one male betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. My tank has recently had this weird issue with what I believe is white hair algae. And I was wondering if I could add a small snail in my tank? I don’t know if my betta would be aggressive towards it or not, he’s never flared at anything..yet :D But is my tank too small to have another little tank mate? Just curious :) I don’t wanna stress the poor guy out, I’ve only had him for a month! I’m still quite new to fish keeping!

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

You could do one nerite snail. They are good at removing algae, but you might have to supplement their diet with algae wafers if they're not getting enough to eat. Unlike mystery snails, they look like rocks and shouldn't be picked on by the betta. I've never had trouble keeping nerites with my girls or my male betta when he was still alive :)

3. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

The hair algae is most often caused by too much light. How long is your light on per day?

4. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

Where can you usually purchase nerite snails from? Do any pet stores have them?

5. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

I usually keep it on while I’m at work, which is 8 hours, then turn it off. Is that too much?

6. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

No. That’s perfect. It’s kind of weird that you have alge, but if you don’t have a clean up crew it makes sense. Some nertile snails will fix the problem in a few days at most.
    Edit: you can get nertile snails from petsmart for like 3 dollars.

7. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

What filtration/heating/water changes do you have/do?

Usually you don't want to use an animal to correct something. Good to keep things in check but not if you have a problem already.

Bettas are unpredictable and in 2.5G they don't have much room to avoid each other, are you planning on any future upgrading? Or do you have a back up plan? He could ignore that snail's existence (most of my bettas have/would) or hate it with a passion.

8. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

I use the filter that came with my tank. It’s from TopFin. It’s an activated carbon filter with a gentle flow. I took the heater out of the tank, because it’s been SO hot here. Without the heater, the tank stays at 78-80 on it’s own. I pretty much siphon my gravel every couple days to get any un eaten food/poop/etc. And I replace a small amount of the water. I use SeaChem Prime when adding any new water. They are definitely unpredictable little fish. I’m hoping he will ignore it.

9. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

Great! I’ve never looked for snails at the store, so I wasn’t sure if they carried them haha. I’m assuming that it’s white hair algae. It looks fuzzy and almost a see through/white color. I’ve made posts about it before but didn’t get many answers on it. My banana plant was COVERED in it at one point so I took it out. It wasn’t doing that great, anyways.

10. S

Yeah, that's the hope.
    While I sound like a broken record, you may want to add a live plant too. To soak up the nitrates that are leading to your algae issue :)

It is NOT uncommon to have an algae issue in a new tank (eyes the brown algae in her community tank). So it may sort itself out too.

11. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

To be honest i would not add anything. 2.5 gallons is the tank size requirment for bettas. If you had a 3 gallon or bigger (i suggest bigger like a 5 gallon) then you could add a snail or some little shrimp. You really don't want to add anything or else you will really cram and stress out your betta.

12. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

I actually have all live plants! And the algae had grown on all of them. I did restart my tank after my previous fish passed (clean and sanitized). So my tanks only been running for a month or so at most! I have one java fern, 2 anubias, water wisteria, and a moss ball. It’s grown on all of them except for the moss ball. But the plants are fairly new, sooo maybe that’s it? New plants getting used to a new environment? I have no idea lol

13. BettaFishKeeper4302

Yeah your plants could of tracked something in from where ever you got them. Just do lots of water changes. Not to much though.

14. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

I got all my plants at PetSmart. Figures. Is the algae harmless to fish?

15. S

How much are you feeding that Betta then?

His stomach is the size of his eye. He literally needs that much food every other day or every day at MOST. Tiny, tiny, tiny amounts of food.

16. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

I feed him once in the morning, another in the evening in very small portions. Sometimes only in the morning. I feed a variety of pellets, flakes, and freeze dried worms.

17. BettaFishKeeper4302

Well algae usually is not harmful to fish but to much of it is. I'd do some more research and find something to treat it.

18. S

You are probably getting algae because of nitrates in the water due to over feeding. I would go down to feeding maximum 1 time per day, literally 1 pellet or 1 - 2 flakes or 1 - 2 worms. Max. They do not need much. And you're just making more ammonia in the tank from either poop or uneaten food which turns into nitrate which causes algae.

19. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

Have to ask-
    is your tank near a window?

20. OP
    OP
    Nightshadethebetta

It’s close to a window, but it’s on one of the bottom shelves of a bookcase (that partially blocks the window), so it doesn’t get any natural light hitting it. It actually stays pretty dim where it is now.