Tank Mates

cfgb78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crafty Cichlid said:
What is your current tank size, the parameters (if available - if not good idea to get a master test kit), temperature, and bioload (number of each kind of fish/snail/shrimp non-plant living things), and filter?
55gal
Temp is 80
I have 2 angels, 5 platys, 2 mollys, 1 guppy, 1 otocinclus, 2 little tiny snails
I have a cascade canister filter 265 GPH
I know I need to get a test kit they are just quite pricey
I also have 2 circulation pumps in there and air stones as well

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cfgb78 said:
Thanks, I thought about those, still am thinking about it, I just heard they are hard to keep
Not always good tank mates for angelfish either, they're both on the more docile end of cichlids, but angels are more aggressive. I know of one discus keeper that kept them happy with daily water changes of a large tank.

I'm thinking some sort of freshwater shark - I think most get too big for a 55 though - ? Or maybe an army of smaller fish? I'm thinking rosy, gold, or odessa barbs maybe? Albino tiger barbs are cool too. All get large enough to hold their own against the angels, and will keep livebearing populations in check. Just mind the tail nipping, they might go after the guppies and angels.

Congo Tetras are super cool in my book, as are rainbow fish (but some have an unsightly shape, imo). Maybe silver dollars, some stay smaller than others.

cfgb78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crafty Cichlid said:
Not always good tank mates for angelfish either, they're both on the more docile end of cichlids, but angels are more aggressive. I know of one discus keeper that kept them happy with daily water changes of a large tank.

I'm thinking some sort of freshwater shark - I think most get too big for a 55 though - ? Or maybe an army of smaller fish? I'm thinking rosy, gold, or odessa barbs maybe? Albino tiger barbs are cool too. All get large enough to hold their own against the angels, and will keep livebearing populations in check. Just mind the tail nipping, they might go after the guppies and angels.

Congo Tetras are super cool in my book, as are rainbow fish (but some have an unsightly shape, imo). Maybe silver dollars, some stay smaller than others.
Think I would be able to add 1 discus and some Odessa barbs?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom