Tank Mates

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can I ask what the nitrates are at right before a water change? How often are you doing water changes and how much?

I think your filtration is good for what you have but I'd say 12 adults discus is a bit much in a 90gal tank. You can certainly overstock the tank so long as you are keeping up on water changes to prevent nitrates from getting too high. Is the tank planted? Planted tanks can maintain an overstocked tank better than a tank w/o plants.

Jeoper

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Demeter said:
Can I ask what the nitrates are at right before a water change? How often are you doing water changes and how much?

I think your filtration is good for what you have but I'd say 12 adults discus is a bit much in a 90gal tank. You can certainly overstock the tank so long as you are keeping up on water changes to prevent nitrates from getting too high. Is the tank planted? Planted tanks can maintain an overstocked tank better than a tank w/o plants.
Tank is not planted and nitrates are 40-80 (always been this way for 2 years now plants or no plants) I have 12 discus (2 not full adults maybe 4" and 4.5") I do a 50% wc ONCE a week

Jeoper

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Demeter said:
With your stocking I think 2 50% water changes are needed. Nitrates are too high, unless your tap water already has a high level of nitrates.
not sure but I will test my tap today. I use to live in another home with plants same stock and nitrates were always 40-80 (as they both look very similar) and now im at a new place for about 6 months and nitrates are the same. They were a little high so I started feeding less but their back to what they've always been 40-80

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom