Tank Mates

1. B

Brodie Member Member

Hello all! My girlfriend has taken a liking to the Flowerhorn, and who could blame her?

They're absolutely beautiful and their behavior is truly unique.

Her and I plan on building what we call "dream tanks" far down the road. The Flowerhorn is being considered in her tank. However, all research I have done on them with tank mates is a no no.

I would like to direct you guys to check out (unless you already know him) the King of DIY on YouTube. He has a MASSIVE tank that is 2,000 gallons.

In it, he has a Arrowana, and some freshwater sting rays. For awhile, the Flowerhorn and Arrowana seemed to be friends. They swam around the aquarium together. In a recent video the Arrowana showed some dominance and the Flowerhorn has learned his place I suppose. So, besides the little conflict the Arrowana and the Flowerhorn had, does this tank only work because of the size?

Thanks for the responses in advanced :)

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Also because the flowerhorn is not large enough for the arowana to eat.

3. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

All fish in a tank together need to establish a pecking order, I believe that's all the arowana was doing with the flowerhorn. Frank was kind of up his butt for the first few days :) haha. If you have a large enough tank, I don't see why your flower horn couldn't have tank mates.

4. n

nib79 Member Member

Although it is preferable to breed them both flowerhorns and arowana alone I do not think that in 2000 gal have space problems, rather make some photos of the huge aquarium.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Brodie Member Member

Awesome! Thank you all for the replies and advice :)