Tank mates? Impossible?

1. ILOVECORYS Member Member

Hi,

Anyone ever been successful having tank mates with Dwarf Puffers?

If so, can you share with us please.

Thank you :)

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I've kept: Mystery Snails (full grown), Mollies, other DPs, and some Crayfish with them. Also anything really fast should be able to live with them. If it is a big tank that is.

3. bowen747x Member Member

Dwarf Puffers are good with mollies? I just setup my first tank, its 10 gallons and i have 2 mollies, and i also plan on getting some RCS soon, and my tank is planted. would 2 DPs leave me any more room or would that be fully stocked?

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

Mollies will get way to big for a 10g. You may want to get rid of them and get Dwarf Puffers instead. You could have two Puffers in a 10g. But the Puffers will eat the RCS so you may not want to get those. I kept Ghost Shrimp with mine because they were like a snack for the Puffers and they are cheap enough that you could continually restock.

5. tress29 Member Member

I put 4 ghosts in the tank with my DP. He was nibbling on the last one this morning. :-\ The biggest ghost was very personable. Was much more visible than the amano shrimp in my 10 gallon tank.

6. bedfordgirl Initiate Member

i have a comunity tank and my green puffer is fine he actualy shols with my glow light tetras lol

7. JRC3 Well Known Member Member

I successfully keep my DPs with ghost shrimp (GS) and never had a single problem for over 2 years. I feed DPs well on bloodworms so I don't think they really want to go after the GS.

For the past 1.5 yrs Ive kept my 3 DPs in a 29g with the GS and some black kuhli loachs...I've been looking to add some stripped kuhli loachs but can't find any locally. A few months ago I added a few nerite snails and they keep everything in tip top shape. Don't use any snails like mystery or apple snails as they will get picked on and maybe killed. Definitely don't use any ramshorn or pond snails as they will be killed.

Good luck.