Tank Mates For Zebra Danios

1. brooklynmv

brooklynmv New Member Member

Hi everybody! I have 3 zebra danios (I know they are supposed to be in larger groups but I've had then for 6 months and they've been doing fine). They are all that's left of my community tank after I came back from vacation and had all my fish die one after another. Anyways, I'm looking for some new tank mates for them! It's a 20 gallon that was part of the TopFin starter kit. Not sure of the exact dimensions but seems a little more taller than long.

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I'd add more zebras anyway. Something like:
    8 zebra danios
    4 platies
    8 bronze or albino corydoras
    What's the temperature of your tank? And if there's any fish you like, tell us and we'll see if they work with your stock :)

3. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

I really like cichlids, but I know that's not an option. And I don't want any livebearers, I believe platies are right?

The temperature is around 82-86 Fahrenheit.

Would nerite snails be an option? I don't think I want anything smaller than a zebra danio. What about some rosy or tiger barbs? Maybe some Long Fin Red Minor Tetras? I'm not opposed to any other ideas, my only local fish stores are Petsmart and Petco though.

4. Angelfishlover123124125

Angelfishlover123124125 Valued Member Member

The tetras will do fine with the danios but im not sure about the tank size (correct me if im wrong)

5. MattS99

First of all, your danios do not like that water temperature. They like water in the mid 70's. And cichlids are totally an option for you, there's a whole bunch of dwarf cichlids you can get, but they probably won't be at a Petco or PetSmart. And you can have nerites, yes.

6. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

I live in Southern California where the daily temp is upwards of 80 degrees. I don't have a heater on the tank for the summer months and I can't get a water chiller, I have a fan in my room to try to cool it but thats all I can do. And I thought cichlids would be too aggressive? That's why I thought they weren't an option.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Not all cichlids are aggressive. If you temp is like this all the time then I'd rehome the danios and do this instead:
    8 cardinal tetras
    8 rummynose tetras
    1 german blue ram
    1 honey gourami

8. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

Temp is not always like that. Just during summer months. They've been doing fine in the range of 78-86 degrees for 6 months. I don't have any where to rehome the danios to anyways.

I had a gourami and he got Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus, I got very attached to him and would not like to go through that again since I know it is common in gouramis. Could I get a cichlid instead? Or are they group fish?

I also don't want anything smaller than a zebra danio so the cardinal tetras are not an option. My lps doesn't have either of those tetras as well :(

9. Anders247

You can't give them back to the store?

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Zebra danios need water that is cooler than 75f and should be kept in groups of 6+, I would try rehoming them to an LFS

11. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

I got them from a store that is now closed. And I don't want to take them to Petco because we all know what will happen there. What about my other questions?

12. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

At the store I got them from, the water was at 88 degrees... They all looked pretty healthy. Like I said, my water is only like this in the summer months. The rest of the year it ranges from 75-82 degrees depending on the current weather, which fluctuates often because I live in Southern Cali haha!

13. MattS99

You can get either a single dwarf cichlid or a M/F pair, but I'd recommend getting a single to reduce aggression. The German blue ram that @Anders247 mentioned would absolutely LOVE living in your warmer water.

14. Anders247

They may look healthy but that is because their metabolism has been sped up more than it should be, in reality it shortens their lifespan.

15. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Anders247.