Tank mates for Tiger Barbs?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fryt, Dec 1, 2012.

1. fryt

frytNew MemberMember

I am looking to add some more fish to my 20g tank. It currently has 5 Tiger barbs. What are some suitable tank mates? I know they can be a bit difficult to house with other species but I'm sure there is something that would be compatible with them.:)

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore! :;toast
    Would you be willing to up your tiger barb school instead? Their school is already on the small side, I think if you brought their numbers up to 10-12 that would look very nice.

3. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

Second upping your school.

I've kept a 20 tall with a school of tigers and one school of cherry barbs before. I'd just add more tigers now though. They're alot of fun to watch, especially when they play tag lol.

4. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

In that size of a tank, I wouldn't recommend anything. They are so downright troublesome to other fish/inverts, it's unbelievable!:mad:

5. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

IMO, Tiger Barbs truly need to be in a 30-40 Gallon + ... I say that because they are semi-aggressive and having more room would sparse the issue at hand enough to not be so troublesome.

And I agree with others on the upping the schooling number to 10+ and not add anything else IF you are going to keep them in the 20 Gallon.

6. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

7. OP
    OP
    fryt

frytNew MemberMember

I was afraid that in a 20g I would have some issues doing anything other than a species only with the Tiger Barbs. No matter. I've seen some green and albino Tigers in my LFS. I assume that it would be no issue having some of those with the 5 I already have? Maybe 4 of each to bring the total school up to 13?

8. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

It's ultimately your choice, but I'd suggest homing any Tiger Barbs in a 30 Gallon +

IMO, Tiger Barbs need to be labeled as "Aggressive".

9. OP
    OP
    fryt

frytNew MemberMember

If I could convince my wife into getting a 3rd tank maybe I could relocate my barbs. But for the time being they are in the 20g. They seem to be very happy in there though. I love watching them zip around and play tag with each other.

10. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

I would agree that upping the school would help things out greatly. All the types of tiger barbs will get along with each other.

That said I do have a smaller school of tigers and Buenos aires tetras together and they do ok, some arguments here and there but not much really. If anything the tetras are a bit more prone to picking on the barbs than anything.

11. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Having kept tiger barbs in everything from a 10 to a 55, I would never recommend someone keep them in a tank as small as a 20. And I certainly wouldn't add any other species of fish. I think more than 10 in a 20 is way too many, which is why the 20 is inappropriate for them, because there should be at least 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice