Tank Mates For Red, Silver Tip And Red Eye Tetras?

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by LHARTWICK, Jul 20, 2017.

1. LHARTWICK

LHARTWICKNew MemberMember

I have a 72G tank. It's been running for about 10 years. Water parameters are all normal. PH usually runs 7.6. Lots of artificial plants and hiding spots. I have 6 each of red serpae, silver tip and red eye tetras. I bought 6 danios a couple of weeks ago - all were dead by next morning. I bought 6 platys last weekend - all were dead w/in 4 days. I strongly suspect the tetras of bullying them to death, specifically the red ones. I really don't want to get any more tetras as I'm tired of seeing them kill my new fish that I try. Any suggestions for fish that will "keep them in their place" until they are gone? I know that sounds bad, but I don't have anyone to give the tetras to, so I'll just have to wait for them to die off I guess. Not sure what to do. I love the high activity level of the tetras but NOT the bullying. Help??

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

How about a pleco? Maybe a bristlenose?

6 is not very many. I would start by upping the silvertips and red eyes to 8 and upping the serpaes to 12. Serpaes often get aggressive if kept in small groups, getting more should help with aggression and nipping.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I serious doubt the tetras bullied or killed your fish.

4. OP
    OP
    LHARTWICK

LHARTWICKNew MemberMember

BottomeDweller: Thank you for your response. So would a larger school keep them from picking on other species? Re: the pleco - I've had one in the past and loved it. I do need to get another. The fish store that he came from is about an hour away, so I'll need to make the trip.

DoubleDutch: I've read several other posts on these boards from fish keepers who have had the same problem with the red serpae tetras. And when I placed those other fish in the tank, I watched the red tetras chase and harass them. I'm just going by what I've seen/read.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice