Tank Mates For Red Cherry

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by aharonhakohen, Jan 8, 2018.

1. aharonhakohen

aharonhakohenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +127
    Experience:
    1 year
    Unfortunately, the selection of LFS where I live is very lacking. There are three to four within a 10-15 minute drive, but all of them either have poor selection, lack of knowledge or both. I also have a few PetSmarts and Petcos.

I went to a new LFS today. The owner was really friendly, and seemed knowledgeable (to my novice understanding). I was actually looking for nerite snails, but he was out. He suggested red cherry shrimp, which I purchased. I told him my tank setup, and he said no problem. But, I am wondering about compatibility.

The two main ones I am worried about is a glass fish, and blue ram. They both took a nip at the shrimp as soon as I put it in. The shrimp found cover, and I had to leave the room for a second. When I came back, the shrimp is nowhere to be found (it is a fairly simplistic scape). Maybe it was eaten?

Opinions? Was I misguided? Thanks!

2. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +811
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The ram will definitely eat the shrimp. I saw my Glofish eat a full grown RCS. Most fish will eat them, if it fits in their mouth they'll eat them! Also red cherries do pretty much nothing for algae if that's what you were looking for. Sorry about your shrimp. :(

3. OP
    OP
    aharonhakohen

Ratings:
    +127
    Experience:
    1 year
    That was one expensive lunch!

What about one nerite snail in a 29 gallon? Will the ram leave it alone?

4. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +811
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No kidding! By that point I had a ton of shrimp (over 100). I was actually moving some from one tank to another. The other shrimp swam straight to the bottom but this one decided to swim calmly around and the Glofish swam up and snatched it.

I doubt the rams would bother snails. I keep snails with bettas and they've never bothered them.

5. OP
    OP
    aharonhakohen

Ratings:
    +127
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks.

Regarding the lunch, I actually meant MY shrimp. I am pretty sure it was gobbled up. $6 gourmet meal. I hope the ram and/or glass fish enjoyed it.

I also have Sterba Corys. Will they also leave the snail alone?