Tank Mates For Rcs?

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have NO experience with shrimp, so I'm just thinking out loud, so to speak. I have an extra 10 gallon with equipment. I have long wanted CPD's so I was hoping to use the 10 for a desk-top CPD tank and I came across the shrimp threads...

Can RCS be housed with CPD and/ or Harlequin Rasboras?

Any ideas on this?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can but any fish has the potential to eat the little ones. A few dense areas will give them a good survival rate.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shrimp will become snacks for any fish that can fit them in their mouth. Adult shrimp will be fine with both cpd and hr, but any offspring will likely be eaten.

To increase the chance for survival of the babies, create lots of hiding spots and live plants.

Good luck!

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am planning a densely planted area in one half... Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on who should go in first -- shrimp or fish?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i probably would do the fish first that way you can get you your water conditions stable before adding the shrimp.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i probably would do the fish first that way you can get your water conditions stable before adding the shrimp.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd say shrimp first, but only if the tank is fully cycled. It may give some time to find hiding spots and get used to the environment before the fish go in.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mixed responses.

I'm lucky that I have identical filters in other tanks so I can speed things along with seasoned filter medium swaps. I might add a few fish (once the conditions are suitable) to keep it going while the plants fill in and then remove them before adding CPD's, harls., or shrimp.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I started a 10 Planted Shrimp tank last summer. I did do a lot of research. The best advise was to have a seasoned/mature tank. The tank was for setup for 6-8 weeks before I added the shrimp. Then added some Rabbbit snails and lastly Otos. The shrimp definitely need hiding areas. I have cholla wood with subwassertang moss tied to it they also like java moss, xmas moss. and Vals,
I call it their Jungle Gym. Here is a pic. Oh, by the way the Vals you are getting came from this tank.
Good Luck

10g.jpg

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I started a 10 Planted Shrimp tank last summer. I did do a lot of research. The best advise was to have a seasoned/mature tank. The tank was for setup for 6-8 weeks before I added the shrimp. Then added some Rabbbit snails and lastly Otos. The shrimp definitely need hiding areas. I have cholla wood with subwassertang moss tied to it they also like java moss, xmas moss. and Vals,
I call it their Jungle Gym. Here is a pic. Oh, by the way the Vals you are getting came from this tank.
Good Luck

View attachment 436518
Thanks, Jmaldo! I'm starting to get excited about this project!

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd probably recommend do shrimp first and use a seasoned the tank. Add fish after the shrimp colony is comfortable, established and reproduces a few rounds. Though to be honest you can add the fish first if you want, it's up to you but the colony might take a little longer to bolster their population. Lots of plants and places for shrimp to hide away, sight unseen where light and fish can't reach them is absolutely essential IMO.

Oh wanted to add, I recently saw jungle vals in a 5ft+ tall tank it was absolutely stunning the jungle vals were huge reaching from top to bottom and still draping a little at the top. I consider my 20h too small/short for them. I can't imagine them in a 10 or even a 3g like I've heard others mention before.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd probably recommend do shrimp first and use a seasoned the tank. Add fish after the shrimp colony is comfortable, established and reproduces a few rounds. Though to be honest you can add the fish first if you want, it's up to you but the colony might take a little longer to bolster their population. Lots of plants and places for shrimp to hide away, sight unseen where light and fish can't reach them is absolutely essential IMO.

Oh wanted to add, I recently saw jungle vals in a 5ft+ tall tank it was absolutely stunning the jungle vals were huge reaching from top to bottom and still draping a little at the top. I consider my 20h too small/short for them. I can't imagine them in a 10 or even a 3g like I've heard others mention before.
Thanks, Segidream. The vals, incidentally, are for another much larger tank.

jay3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good Luck

View attachment 436518
These Vals are so beautiful!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom