Tank mates for pandas

Mortallwombat

I have 6 panda Cory's in a 10 gallon tank was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for another tank mate for them?

peachsonas

I have 6 panda Cory's in a 10 gallon tank was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for another tank mate for them?
hmm. i wouldn’t because you’d be overstocking if you added anything else. 6 pandas in a 10g is already pushing it.

JLDJ

IMO what is overstocking can vary depending on how a tank is set up... including the actual water volume.
I have seen tanks that are only 3/4 full... or so full of substrate and big rocks etc that cut down on the water volume
So, what are compatible with Corys?
In my 10 gal tank, I have two Pandas., six Neon Tetras , three Harlequin Rasboras.
They all get along great .
I do have to be careful that I do not over feed them to keep my nitrates down..
Also 3 gal water changes about every 5 days.

However with your six Pandas, you might be approaching your limit as even Pandas, full grown are not that tiny..
If you want some kind kind of fish to go with them, I would suggest just three Harlequin Rasboras. and then follow a water changing routine.....and do not over feed.
My three Rasboras more or less swim together, usually slowly... though occasionally they will dart around .. :) .

BTW what plants do you have that will help with Nitrates?

EMcT1985

You could add a few male endlers--they can be fun to watch and I imagine the bioload wouldn't be much with them.

TheAnglerAquarist

IMO what is overstocking can vary depending on how a tank is set up... including the actual water volume.
I have seen tanks that are only 3/4 full... or so full of substrate and big rocks etc that cut down on the water volume
So, what are compatible with Corys?
In my 10 gal tank, I have two Pandas., six Neon Tetras , three Harlequin Rasboras.
They all get along great .
I do have to be careful that I do not over feed them to keep my nitrates down..
Also 3 gal water changes about every 5 days.

However with your six Pandas, you might be approaching your limit as even Pandas, full grown are not that tiny..
If you want some kind kind of fish to go with them, I would suggest just three Harlequin Rasboras. and then follow a water changing routine.....and do not over feed.
My three Rasboras more or less swim together, usually slowly... though occasionally they will dart around .. :) .

BTW what plants do you have that will help with Nitrates?
Cories should be in schools of 6

JLDJ

What do you base that on?
I have a lot of experience with Corys.
Fact is, the is no number set in stone for most any schooling fish
Corys are not even a schooling fish
Although they do seem to need at least one other of thire own kind :)

peachsonas

What do you base that on?
I have a lot of experience with Corys.
Fact is, the is no number set in stone for most any schooling fish
Corys are not even a schooling fish :)
not to stray too far off topic, but I thought the minimum group number of cories should be 5-6+ because they're usually in groups much larger in natural settings and they're just more comfortable since they're social fish? just curious about that, I guess

kallililly1973

Being in schools of 6 is just something someone came up with . You can add as many as you want providing the tank is the right size to handle them. We have a 20 long with 13 green Cory’s and in our 55 we have 5 peppers and about 10-15 green Cory … so saying you can only have 6 is inaccurate sorry

TheAnglerAquarist

not to stray too far off topic, but I thought the minimum group number of cories should be 5-6+ because they're usually in groups much larger in natural settings and they're just more comfortable since they're social fish? just curious about that, I guess
Yeah in the wild they shoal in the hundreds, you will see better personality, happier fish and unique behaviors if you put them in schools of 6+
Being in schools of 6 is just something someone came up with . You can add as many as you want providing the tank is the right size to handle them. We have a 20 long with 13 green Cory’s and in our 55 we have 5 peppers and about 10-15 green Cory … so saying you can only have 6 is inaccurate sorry
Right but 5-6 or more is better

PAcanis

This has turned into a topic that I think about a lot:
Duplicating fish found in the wild, (or raised in tanks with all their buddies), with what benefits your own personal aquarium better.

Is it better to add the "minimum number of fish" someone came up with to your tank?
Or is it better to have a smaller number to help keep things clean and keep the bioload down?

Actually, I think I even started a thread specifically asking that same thing. And with Corys, too.

And on the way back from the fish store earlier today I was asking myself, Why did I buy six Pygmy Corys for my nano tank when 3-4 would have been perfect and not pushing the bioload?
The answer is, because I've got this minimum number of fish embedded in my brain by now.

But I did decrease one tank from eight Corys to four. But I had another reason for doing that.

JLDJ

You might see hundreds together in their natural habitat simply because there are that many there..... not that they need a school around them. Two or thre are enought for them to act normally.

Neon Tetras on the other hand are schooling fish and I have six of them. :)

Yes, you must keep the bio load down and that includes not overstocking a fish that is not necessary because you think that they need a lot of company

BTW can we get over thinking that a fish can be happy or sad? They are just little fishes. They only eat by pure instinct.
Yes, they can be cute but that does not men they have an intellect of higher animals.
Let's face it, we have aquarium for us and the fish are for our happiness. . We give our fish the best so they will not die etc ... as it is a reflection on us.

TheAnglerAquarist

You might see hundreds together in their natural habitat simply because there are that many there..... not that they need a school around them. Two or thre are enought for them to act normally.

Neon Tetras on the other hand are schooling fish and I have six of them. :)

Yes, you must keep the bio load down and that includes not overstocking a fish that is not necessary because you think that they need a lot of company

BTW can we get over thinking that a fish can be happy or sad? They are just little fishes. They only eat by pure instinct.
Yes, they can be cute but that does not men they have an intellect of higher animals.
Let's face it, we have aquarium for us and the fish are for our happiness. . We give our fish the best so they will not die etc ... as it is a reflection on us.
I feel like if you care about your animals you chocks keep them in the best conditions possible. Puffers have the intelligence of a toddler, pretty cool

JLDJ

the integence of a human?

TheAnglerAquarist

the integence of a human?
A human toddler, yes. Out of pure intellect

JLDJ

That is a contradiction

TheAnglerAquarist

Coradee

Have any of you stopped & taken a moment to realise that the Op hasn’t returned since you derailed this thread?
It’s very unfair to do this & take focus from the Op, they weren’t asking about cory school size or even if they are schoolers & neither did they ask about puffer intelligence!
Please take your off topic discussion to your own thread if you want to continue it & lets get back to answering the Op’s original question, reminder below

TheAnglerAquarist

Have any of you stopped & taken a moment to realise that the Op hasn’t returned since you derailed this thread?
It’s very unfair to do this & take focus from the Op, they weren’t asking about cory school size or even if they are schoolers & neither did they ask about puffer intelligence!
Please take your off topic discussion to your own thread if you want to continue it & lets get back to answering the Op’s original question, reminder below
I am sorry Mortallwombat
I think some White Cloud Mountain minnows would be nice, depending on the room temp in the room you keep your fish in you could turn off the heater and have a nice tank with white clouds and panda cories. Pandas are incredibly adorable and I am sure they play and do sill things all day.

peachsonas

Yeah! WCMM would be nice, and pandas could tolerate the cooler water too. :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
  • Question
Replies