Tank mates for panda cories in 33 gallon

PlantedCommunityTank132

I'm building a aquarium rack at the moment, and want to have a breeding tank for panda cories. would you guys recommend any tank mates at all? I do want to buy them mainly to breed them and profit off of them, so I don't know if it would be worth the risk of the fry getting eaten

carsonsgjs

If breeding is the main objective then I wouldn't bother with tankmates for them.

PlantedCommunityTank132

If breeding is the main objective then I wouldn't bother with tankmates for them.
okay. I just read some website where they said that they take a few years to be sexually mature. is that true?

chromedome52

I know of a few Killifish breeders who also breed Panda Cories in their tanks together. They seem to tolerate one another reasonably well, since the cories are a cooler water species, and many killies breed in unheated tanks. Might take a little research to determine the best species to keep with them.

V1K

Shrimp and snails would be safe tankmates. If you get nice varieties, you could also breed those for even more profit.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I know of a few Killifish breeders who also breed Panda Cories in their tanks together. They seem to tolerate one another reasonably well, since the cories are a cooler water species, and many killies breed in unheated tanks. Might take a little research to determine the best species to keep with them.
I'm already setting up 3 killifish tanks for breeding, so I was looking something different, but thanks
Shrimp and snails would be safe tankmates. If you get nice varieties, you could also breed those for even more profit.
cool. what types of snails? wouldn't the snails eat the eggs if they had the chance?

V1K

I'm already setting up 3 killifish tanks for breeding, so I was looking something different, but thanks

cool. what types of snails? wouldn't the snails eat the eggs if they had the chance?
Haven't tried it personally, but my quick research says that smaller snails, like ramshorns, will only eat unfertilized or dead eggs, not healthy ones. For bigger ones, like mystery snails, I find mixed opinions, so you may not want to risk it. So I guess brightly coloured ramshorns would be the best choice.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Haven't tried it personally, but my quick research says that smaller snails, like ramshorns, will only eat unfertilized or dead eggs, not healthy ones. For bigger ones, like mystery snails, I find mixed opinions, so you may not want to risk it. So I guess brightly coloured ramshorns would be the best choice.
okay. thanks so much

Katie Dawn

I have a 20 gallon with only pandas and nerite snails. I started with 7 pandas a little less than a year ago, haven't been actively trying to breed them, and currently have 20 cories in the tank. (Yikes!) So unless you definitely have room in another tank to move tankmates to if they start breeding, I would probably skip tankmates.

Mine were definitely juveniles when I bought them as they almost doubled in size. It took a couple of months before they started breeding, but there definitely wasn't a big delay.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I have a 20 gallon with only pandas and nerite snails. I started with 7 pandas a little less than a year ago, haven't been actively trying to breed them, and currently have 20 cories in the tank. (Yikes!) So unless you definitely have room in another tank to move tankmates to if they start breeding, I would probably skip tankmates.

Mine were definitely juveniles when I bought them as they almost doubled in size. It took a couple of months before they started breeding, but there definitely wasn't a big delay.
okay. thanks for the tip :)

PlantedCommunityTank132

I'm thinking about buying pearl gouramis for my 20 gallon, or my 33 gallon. would they be relaxed with some panda Corydoras in a well planted 33 gallon tank? could I keep three pearl gouramis in the 33 with the corys? thanks

Noroomforshoe

I would not do it in anything smaller than the 33. but what are the dimensions of the tank? Cories would be good tank mates yes.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I would not do it in anything smaller than the 33. but what are the dimensions of the tank? Cories would be good tank mates yes.
okay. the tank isn't a high, its a long. would that change anything? anyways, the dimensions are 92cm
by 39cm by 39cm

Nanonanny

Pearl gouramis can grow to 5 inches.
Also keep in mind, the more things you add to a tank lowers your available swim space for your fish.
If it's a well planted tank, your 33 gal could easily become a 25-27 gal depending on the amount of plants, decor and substrate.

If you are set on a pearl gourami, I would only add one. Pearl gouramis can be aggressive with each other.

But I would recommend a pair of honey gouramis if you want to add gouramis to the tank.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Pearl gouramis can grow to 5 inches.
Also keep in mind, the more things you add to a tank lowers your available swim space for your fish.
If it's a well planted tank, your 33 gal could easily become a 25-27 gal depending on the amount of plants, decor and substrate.

If you are set on a pearl gourami, I would only add one. Pearl gouramis can be aggressive with each other.

But I would recommend a pair of honey gouramis if you want to add gouramis to the tank.
okay. I wanted to breed them, but the 33 gallon tank was the largest one I have on hand. thanks for the help :)

DoubleDutch

A pair of pearls in a 33G is no problem. They like (floating) plants.

PlantedCommunityTank132

A pair of pearls in a 33G is no problem. They like (floating) plants.
okay? so, Nanonanny said it would be too small, you say its big enough, so what should I do?

DoubleDutch

There is a Dutch saying : Bij twijfel niet inhalen = If you doubt don't overtake.

kansas

Even if they can live in a 20, they won't have much room to move or interact.

ProudPapa

I'm the guy with twelve of them in a 40 gallon breeder tank, so. . .

DoubleDutch

Even if they can live in a 20, they won't have much room to move or interact.
I wouldn't keep them in a 20G either.

Nanonanny

If you want two or three in a 33 gallon, depending on how planted and how set up your 33 gal is, it's not going to be 33 gallons. The more stuff you add, the smaller your swimming water column is going to be.

Look at it this way:
You could live in a small bathroom, but how would you feel and how would your health be?
Would you rather live your life in a tiny room with a room mate or in a house with a yard?

Ultimately the choice is yours of course, but I wouldn't put more in than one because of what I stated above.

PlantedCommunityTank132

thanks for all the replies. how planted would you guys make it if I were to keep two pearl gouramis with a school of panda corydoras?

Noroomforshoe

2 pearl gourami should be fine in a 33 long with a school of cories. I do not recommend that you purposely try to breed them in that tank. You should keep a close watch on them, sometimes they are peaceful but not always. You need to try to keep tall plants and tall decorations towards the back of the tank, the Gourami should have a clear length of the tank to swim without dragging their barbles on decorations or plants.

PlantedCommunityTank132

2 pearl gourami should be fine in a 33 long with a school of cories. I do not recommend that you purposely try to breed them in that tank. You should keep a close watch on them, sometimes they are peaceful but not always. You need to try to keep tall plants and tall decorations towards the back of the tank, the Gourami should have a clear length of the tank to swim without dragging their barbles on decorations or plants.
okay thanks. what if I breed them in a 20 gallon, but put them back in their normal tank after the fry hatched?

DoubleDutch

okay thanks. what if I breed them in a 20 gallon, but put them back in their normal tank after the fry hatched?
As said that is too small. Read about their needs and behaviour then you'll understand.
If you want two or three in a 33 gallon, depending on how planted and how set up your 33 gal is, it's not going to be 33 gallons. The more stuff you add, the smaller your swimming water column is going to be.

Look at it this way:
You could live in a small bathroom, but how would you feel and how would your health be?
Would you rather live your life in a tiny room with a room mate or in a house with a yard?

Ultimately the choice is yours of course, but I wouldn't put more in than one because of what I stated above.
A 33G for 2 pearls isn't like living in a bathroom. Though I like them (and all fish) to be in a bigger tank I disagree it is too small. Also I have never read planting and decoration is counted with in recommended tanksizes.

Nanonanny

A tank filled with 33 gallons of total water would hold 2 pearls, I agree with you there definitely.

A 33 gal tank that has substrate as well as decorations as well as plants and whatever else is added to the available water colum, is not holding 33 gallons of water.
Depending on what's added to the tank besides water, it will cut down on how many gallons of water the tank actually is.

A 33 gallon tank can easily be a 29 gallon tank or even less with 3 inches of substrate, plants added, rocks added, wood added, etc.

DoubleDutch

A tank filled with 33 gallons of total water would hold 2 pearls, I agree with you there definitely.

A 33 gal tank that has substrate as well as decorations as well as plants and whatever else is added to the available water colum, is not holding 33 gallons of water.
Depending on what's added to the tank besides water, it will cut down on how many gallons of water the tank actually is.

A 33 gallon tank can easily be a 29 gallon tank or even less with 3 inches of substrate, plants added, rocks added, wood added, etc.
I understand that of course, but then recommendation of tanksizes for certain fish are useless.

PlantedCommunityTank132

okay, so breeding them wouldn't be a good idea then?

jinjerJOSH22

Hallo.
For me a 33 gallon(the dimensions of yours is really nice) is fine for a pair or so. Ideally you would want more, 3 or even 4 with only one male. You'll want it well planted and like DD said floating plants are a must.

For breeding a 20 is absolutely fine though you wouldn't want to keep them there permanently and remember a successful breeding means you'll have to deal with the fry.

I think people tend to underestimate how social these(and a lot of other Gourami) really are. Keeping social fish on there own can cause issues down the line.

I think you are a little too focused on the amount of gallons, the dimensions of the tank are just as or even more important. Of course there is a limit to this.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Hallo.
For me a 33 gallon(the dimensions of yours is really nice) is fine for a pair or so. Ideally you would want more, 3 or even 4 with only one male. You'll want it well planted and like DD said floating plants are a must.

For breeding a 20 is absolutely fine though you wouldn't want to keep them there permanently and remember a successful breeding means you'll have to deal with the fry.
okay thanks. I think I'll buy two, see how it goes, and maybe buy a third one down the line?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
AquaticJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies